How often do you clean your K&N?

• Sponsors (?)

myponyrocks said:
I clean mine once a month, so like every 3k miles :p its cheap and easy, and its kinda dusty and dirty here

Big mistake. Even K&N says to keep the dirty somewhat dirty as it works better.

I clean mine at 50,000 miles and have done for the last 250,000 miles on all of my cars.

myponyrocks said:
so youre saying, if I check the filter 3k later and its covered in bugs and grime to leave it that way? no thanks

Even K&N says that depending upon driving conditions they will go up to 50,000 before needing cleaning.

So, unless you're driving off-roading or in terrible conditions, cleaning it with under 50,000 miles, you're just wasting your time and money.

You have to remember that unlike a paper filter, the K&N is oiled and needs to be dirty to work better.

K&N just says that they recommend you clean the filter every 50k miles. It does not say anything about affecting performance if you clean it before then. That's like saying if you change your oil every 1500 miles you are going to mess something up in your motor. It's probably a waste but in no way going negatively effect your car.

Personally I clean my filter every time I change oil. It's easy to remember and only happens two-three times a year.

UVBNHAD said:
K&N just says that they recommend you clean the filter every 50k miles. It does not say anything about affecting performance if you clean it before then. That's like saying if you change your oil every 1500 miles you are going to mess something up in your motor. It's probably a waste but in no way going negatively effect your car.

Personally I clean my filter every time I change oil. It's easy to remember and only happens two-three times a year.
he is right, you are not suppose to clean it that often. it actually works better when it is dirty. mind, im not saying dunk it in the mud. but that is how it works. also be careful not to over oil, bad for the intake. :D

A dirty K&N has better filtering ability, but it's airflow will be reduced. K&N also recommends replacing the air filter after 25 washings.This is what K&N says on there web site:Service Interval

A K&N Filtercharger is a high-performance air filter, both in terms of air flow and filtration. However, the service interval can vary widely depending on the severity of the driving conditions. The service interval can be from 100 miles in a desert-racing environment to 50,000 miles for normal street use. The proper way to determine when an air filter needs service is with an air restriction gauge. Such a device is commonly used on heavy duty trucks and construction equipment. A restriction gauge, measures the pressure differential inside and outside the filter and gives the information in different forms of measurement. As the filter collects more and more dirt, the restriction value increases. At a predetermined point or rate of restriction, the filter is serviced. The maximum allowable restriction for a K&N Filtercharger is 15" of vacuum (water). If the restriction is allowed to go higher, the filter media might become so restricted that the element could distort allowing dirty air to bypass the filter and enter the engine. Conversely, cleaning a filter too often will shorten its serviceable life expectancy. Installing a restriction gauge will optimize service intervals and take the guess work out of your maintenance schedule.

Service Life

A K&N Filtercharger can be washed up to 25 times before it is considered no longer serviceable. Even though the filter may not show outward signs of deterioration, it should be replaced after 25 washings. Excessive washings will deplete the tiny cotton hairs that crisscross the openings. The resulting damage will allow tiny dust particles to pass through.