how restrictive is the stock exhaust system?

2000GTnoExtras said:
I would love to replace my midpipe, but sadly, in CA it is technically illegal.
:bs:
that depends on where you take it.. Catted midpipes will pass the sniffer just not visual (since the 2 preheaters are missing). So, just find a shop that will pass you as long as you pass the sniffer.. there are lots of gas stations out there :nice:

magnaflow catted x has been one of my favorite mods thus far

• Sponsors (?)

wms004 said:
that depends on where you take it.. Catted midpipes will pass the sniffer just not visual (since the 2 preheaters are missing). So, just find a shop that will pass you as long as you pass the sniffer.. there are lots of gas stations out there :nice:

magnaflow catted x has been one of my favorite mods thus far

Very true, but it is still technically illegal and you're getting an "illegal smog check," if they don't actually perform the visual properly.
It's totally one of those things you can get away with, but I don't want to be "rolling dirty..."

Sam98 said:
Not really if you compare it to the stock exhaust systems of the 70's. Back then you could gain 5% by installing dual exhaust, and another 10% by installing headers and the whole system cost $200. Now you'll spend over $1000 and gain 2-5%... :nice:

I dynod 232 rwhp stock, and 255 w/ exhaust. Thats a 23 hp gain. I would say that is right at 10% gain.

Matt