How should I fix this? (New Valve Covers) *DUW Pics*

breadfan35

Jul 28, 2002
Dallas,Tx
OK, I replaced my factory valve covers with some Ford Racing Tall valve covers to give room with my 1.6's, but mainly because I got a crack in my factory passenger side valve cover and it was leaking oil. Long before I added heads/cam/RR's I installed a TFS intake with a 1" spacer in anticipation of getting the tall valve covers someday. Well I got them, put them on and even with the 1" spacer it is a tight fit, but it does fit. Well at least I thought everything fit till I went to put my throttle body cable back on.

BracketOffCenter.jpg

BracketOffCenter2.jpg

BracketOffCenter3.jpg

As you can see, the bracket is hitting the valve cover and making the holes for the screws about 1/4 off from being even. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it? I don't know of bigger spacer than a 1". Should I add a 3/8's with it? That seems like overkill to me. Can I just attach the cable itself and not worry about the bracket, or will it be too free moving to do that? I thought I had covered all my bases, but I didn't ever give thought to this bracket before I started. Any help would be appreciated. :)

• Sponsors (?)

just a thought, you could get the ole dremel out and cut a tad off of that bracket. That way you dont have to spend any money on your spacer... Just a though, if you dont want to do it that way thats fine with me. I think it would be easier to just cut the little bit off of the bracket that you need to fit. I doubt it would hurt a thing...

IndyBlk5.0 said:
just a thought, you could get the ole dremel out and cut a tad off of that bracket. That way you dont have to spend any money on your spacer... Just a though, if you dont want to do it that way thats fine with me. I think it would be easier to just cut the little bit off of the bracket that you need to fit. I doubt it would hurt a thing...

I actually did think about that, but I don't have the tools to do that. However I bet I could find someone who does. Thanks for the suggestion. :) Anyone else?

That really sucks!!! I went with the factory height on my replacements for that very reason. Why is the oil cap in the back now? Can you return them for a different pair? They do look nice though. good luck. BTW how much taller are they than stock?

PRO50SC said:
That really sucks!!! I went with the factory height on my replacements for that very reason. Why is the oil cap in the back now? Can you return them for a different pair? They do look nice though. good luck. BTW how much taller are they than stock?

I didn't want factory height because I had to grind on the factory ones to make room for the 1.6's. I don't remember exactly, but I think they are 3 3/4"s tall. As for the oil cap in the back, that is where the hole was when I got them. And I only have the cap there for now, I am getting a breather for it later. I bought them online and the return process would not be worth the trouble. Besides, these are the ones I want and this is not that big of a problem. I just want suggestions so I can have options to choose from when I make my decision on what to do. :)

I am going to be getting almost the exact same covers (mine are black and red), and I will be installing an Explorer intake and 1" spacer. I'd have no problem grinding that bracket if it comes down to it. A little dremeling would be fine...

astronut1885 said:
I am going to be getting almost the exact same covers (mine are black and red)

I wanted to get the black ones at first because my Intake is black and it would match. The only thing that kept me from getting them is that I didn't want the red lettering. I wish I could have found black with chrome lettering. If so, I would have gone with black.

They have black with silver. FordRacing.com lists them, and I think Summit does too. My Explorer intake has been painted red and black, and my car is red and black. I'm trying to keep it all the same. As far as elongating the holes, a dremel would do it nicely. A file would take a long time, and a drill with a bigger bit would make a biggler hole (which you could use if you got big washers). I'd find a dremel, or a hacksaw and take a bit off the bracket where it hits the covers. I'd do that before I messed with the holes. Good luck!

Try reversing the spacer???...holes will be up top then....i had to elongated that bracket to clear my tall VCs to....you can reverse it as long as you don't angle the cable to much???

I ran into the same problem last winter. I used the old Dremel to do some cutting of the bracket. You could probably use a hack saw. Just gonna take some time trial and error. Put some tape over the valve covers in that area while you try to fit it in(I scraped mine :( ).

Most of the styles of VCs that FRPP offers are for carbed cars. The EFI ones are all the ridged ones, and are twice the price. Since it can be made to work, I think that it's a nice alternative to the usual.

Breadfan, I have a question: Can you get at the hole in the driver's side VC? I want to know if it's even accessible, or if the upper intake blocks it off. Thanks.

Adam Dugger said:
those are carb'd valve covers.. get the correct EFI VCs then the oil cap will be where you want it... unreal that even with a 1in spacer it wouldnt fit.. grind the bracket with a dremel.. but Id get the 'right' vcs...

jmo

These work with EFI the same as long as you have the clearance. The placement of the hole really doesn't bother me. I'm probably just gonna hack the bracket.