HOW TO: 13" BAER REAR ROTOR UPGRADE

91LX_5L

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
British Columbia
This is a very popular rear brake upgrade kit from Baer.

This kit will allow you to use your stock rear brake calipers, pads, and lines on new Baer 13 inch cross drilled and slotted brake rotors. This will upgrade both the appearance and performance of your Mustang.

Features:

* Rear Caliper Bracket (mounts your stock calipers)
* Cross Drilled and Slotted Zinc Plated Rotors
* No need to bleed brakes or even remove brake lines
* Quick installation!

2262011.jpg

It can be purchased thru our sponsor:
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=787

INSTALL

1.) Jack up car, put axel stands under rear, block front wheels. Remove wheels

2.) Remove parking brake cable from caliper
baer1.jpg

3.) Remove caliper bolts (2 @ 19mm)
baer2.jpg
baer3.jpg

4.) Slide caliper off rotor and remove your old rotor, try not to let the brake line feeding into the caliper take the weight, support the caliper.

5.) Now you have to remove your groan bracket. Behind your caliper you will see the the u bolt and two nuts, remove the nuts (2 nuts @ 13mm) and slide the u bolt out, then remove the groan bracket.
baer4.jpg
baer5.jpg

6.) Now more then likely you will have to take some excess off the groan bracket to make up for the added space that the new baer caliper braket will take up. You cant really take too much off so dont worry but be careful. I gound mine down untill it was almost even with the lip above, as you can see in the picture, this seemed to be the perfect amount and I wasnt fighting to force it in (I took less off the 1st time but it didnt quite fit so it took more off which I suggest you try.
Before:
baer6.jpg
baer7.jpg

After:
baer8.jpg
baer9.jpg

Once done re-install.

7.) Now place the new baer caliper bracket in place with the stock caliper mouting location.
NOTE: If you want to keep the dust shield you will have to trim off the far left corner so that it doesnt interfer with the bracket. Either that or remove the dust sheild completly (I trimmed, took me like 30 seconds might not look pretty but will be hidden with the brakes when finished anyways)
baer10.jpg

8.) Now, Slide the bolts in new bracket from the outside but dont tighen them up yet. This bracket lifts the caliper mouting location up to allow for the 13" rotor to fit.
baer11.jpg

9.) Now fit the groan bracket back in place, it should fit, might need to wiggle it around, if it is still too tight grind more off. Once its in put the u-bolt back thru and just put the nuts on finger tight so that the ubolt doesnt slide out.
baer12.jpg
baer13.jpg

10.) Now tighten up the new baer bracket via the supplyed bolts, nuts, and washers I found a wrench on the front and a socket on the back worked the best. Then tighten up the groan bracket.
baer14.jpg

Now your pretty much done! Grab a beer and take a quick break! :dancing6:

11.) With everything tight its time to slide on the new rotor. Hold the rotor in place with a nut or two, or any other way (just makes it easier).
NOTE: At this time I installed new pads which I would reccomend if they havent been replaced recently.

12.) Now its time to install the caliper again, slide it over your rotor and bolt it up to the new baer bracket with the supplied bolts.
NOTE: it says to use the hex bolt in the top location which is wrong because it doesnt even extend thru the end of the bracket, you use it on the bottom. I didnt use the hex since I didnt have a large enough allen key for it, plus I wouldnt be able to torque it enough anyways so I just used my old stock caliper bolt which worked fine.
NOTE 2: If your caliper wont fit on the rotor...you have to compress the piston in the caliper, you will need a 'rear caliper tool' (which you should be able to rent) for this since the caliper has to be spun as well as forced in at the same time

13.) Place your wheels back on, torque to spec to make sure you dont damage your new rotors.

baer15.jpg
baer16.jpg

Your done!

• Sponsors (?)