How to align/adjust or level new headlights?

mbl585

Founding Member
Feb 22, 2001
I bought a six piece replacement headlight set and I am about to install it. The ones I bought are the diamond ones which look similar to the ones that are on the newer style mustangs. These also have the adjustment brackets already on them. Installation seems simple but I am sort of unsure how to adjust alignment/level of the headlights. Is it hard and are there any tips to do this?

• Sponsors (?)

mbl585 said:
I bought a six piece replacement headlight set and I am about to install it. The ones I bought are the diamond ones which look similar to the ones that are on the newer style mustangs. These also have the adjustment brackets already on them. Installation seems simple but I am sort of unsure how to adjust alignment/level of the headlights. Is it hard and are there any tips to do this?
The best thing to do is after you get everything in, take to a shop and have them aligned properly. Should only cost you about 1/4 hour of their huorly labor rate. :nice:

I just got my 6-piece diamond clears today too! Probably gonna install on sunday, is it true you need to take the front bumper cover off, or is that not necessary, but just would make it easier to install? Does anyone have any other useful tips to know when installing headlights?

About that actual adjusting, i think there is a special tool from ford maybe?

As for me, i didnt know how to adjust mine. What i did, was trial and error. I had to keep removing the headlight/adjusting plate from the bumper, adjusting the screws, and re-installing. I did this until i got one light just right. I then measured the screw gaps and made the opposite side the same, worked out good but it took forever, pretty frusturating too.

Mavrick said:
About that actual adjusting, i think there is a special tool from ford maybe?

As for me, i didnt know how to adjust mine. What i did, was trial and error. I had to keep removing the headlight/adjusting plate from the bumper, adjusting the screws, and re-installing. I did this until i got one light just right. I then measured the screw gaps and made the opposite side the same, worked out good but it took forever, pretty frusturating too.
For what it's worth, it's about a 10 minute job at a repair shop. Would your time and frustration been worth the $15 or 20 bucks it would have cost you? :shrug:

Because the last time I did it on an aligner it was fugged up worse than when I started. I do it at a parking lot or alley at night with a 3 or 4mm socket. Takes about a half hour and I know it'd where I want it.

Jamie