How to beat a modified LS1

Tony01GT

Dec 16, 2002
Orland Park, IL
This should help a lot of people decide on certain mods and how to curve their goals according to certain modifications. This is based on my personal experience, and some people may agree or disagree with me. In other words this is IMO.
I'll start out with how to beat a stock LS1. See I had good experience with this because my sister had a 2001 Trans am non-WS6, and we toyed around on the streets from time to time, and this helped out a lot to see how my car reacted to certain mods since she stayed stock. Both are cars are automatics so here is where things might differ the most between other peoples experiences. Well..no doubt that when both our cars were stock she would easily beat me. My first mods were a K&N air filter, then MAC LT's and O/R H pipe. I had the stock mufflers on at the time. After those three things I noticed a conciderable difference in the 1320. When both our cars were stock she would pull from a dig right away. With the lt's, o/r h, and filter, I would pull hard from a dig and mid second gear she would pass waving and laughing. My next mods came all at once. I then got a C&L intake pipe, 75mm Accufab TB, C&L plenum, Maganapacks welded in, Superchips Max Microtuner, Steeda subframe connectors, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10's, ECTED 31 spline differential, 31 spline strange axles, nitto DR's 315's 275s up front. All of that netted me a 13.2 in the 1/4 and my sisters car was the past. By the way, that ECTED diff. is sweet, I can keep it limited slip on the street and at the flip of a switch it goes to full locker for the track.
After all of that I got steeda superlite sport springs, lakewood 90/10 struts, UPR Caster Camber plates, and nitrous! I opted for the NX wet kit. I got everything hooked up and headed to the track. I ran a 100 shot a got a 12.2 @ 111 mph. spinning 1st a little with crappy 1.8 60ft. I was suprised that I acually got a full second out of a 100 shot. That made me realize that with slicks, and a higher stall converter I would be in mid 11's!! After that I jetted my nitrous for a 150 shot, got colder plugs, skinnies, and slicks. I never ran at the track with the 150 but I did race a modded 2001 Z28. He had heads, a cam, lid, pullies, LT's full exhaust, gears, stall etc., that I knew of. Well, in the end I ended up beating him by 2 car lengths, 1 car length and 3 car lengths. I've raced other LS1's with less and spanked them and even one that was basically stock with nitrous and won. Now all I need is Heads, Cams, converter, and a built block and who know where I'll be! I'll be doing all of that stuff soon. So there is how I beat modded LS1's. Hopefully you can look at my mods and get an idea of what you need to do to catch you a pesky LS1.
sorry so long!
~TONY

• Sponsors (?)

The bottomless bank account LOL J/K. I guess if I had bought an 01 like I was going to I could afford that many mods....but I am modding 2 cars. Oh well, but hey GREAT post there, and yea that N20 really helps. But as a word of caution, I wouldnt expect that motor to hold all that power for very long....a forged shortblock should be your next mod, then up the shot to 250 LOL. As for me, im done with boltons...true I have raced a few stockish GTs and now I pull past them like they are standing still BUT there doesnt seem to be a huge 1/4 mile gain. Nearly stock I ran a 14.4 (K&N and RA) so stock I think I would have run a 14.5 at best. Now I run 13.5s. So I have picked up a full second. Not worth the money IMO to do any more boltons, SO my next mods are going to include a forged stroker SB, either HP TTs or a procharger (d1sc...maybe F1) both would be at around 18PSI, then debating going with a stand alone management, P&Pheads W/ some mild blower/turbo cams....but then the thought comes to mind, "How fast do I need to be? I cant beat everyone." Basically I need to find what price I want to spend.

by the way, i'm 19, decided not to go to college and work hard for my money, i bought my car brand new in 01(still paying it off) pay for insurence, my truck, etc.,endless bank account?...for now, sooner or later im gonna have to move out, hahaha

Tony01GT said:
This should help a lot of people decide on certain mods and how to curve their goals according to certain modifications. This is based on my personal experience, and some people may agree or disagree with me. In other words this is IMO.
I'll start out with how to beat a stock LS1. See I had good experience with this because my sister had a 2001 Trans am non-WS6, and we toyed around on the streets from time to time, and this helped out a lot to see how my car reacted to certain mods since she stayed stock. Both are cars are automatics so here is where things might differ the most between other peoples experiences. Well..no doubt that when both our cars were stock she would easily beat me. My first mods were a K&N air filter, then MAC LT's and O/R H pipe. I had the stock mufflers on at the time. After those three things I noticed a conciderable difference in the 1320. When both our cars were stock she would pull from a dig right away. With the lt's, o/r h, and filter, I would pull hard from a dig and mid second gear she would pass waving and laughing. My next mods came all at once. I then got a C&L intake pipe, 75mm Accufab TB, C&L plenum, Maganapacks welded in, Superchips Max Microtuner, Steeda subframe connectors, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10's, ECTED 31 spline differential, 31 spline strange axles, nitto DR's 315's 275s up front. All of that netted me a 13.2 in the 1/4 and my sisters car was the past. By the way, that ECTED diff. is sweet, I can keep it limited slip on the street and at the flip of a switch it goes to full locker for the track.
After all of that I got steeda superlite sport springs, lakewood 90/10 struts, UPR Caster Camber plates, and nitrous! I opted for the NX wet kit. I got everything hooked up and headed to the track. I ran a 100 shot a got a 12.2 @ 111 mph. spinning 1st a little with crappy 1.8 60ft. I was suprised that I acually got a full second out of a 100 shot. That made me realize that with slicks, and a higher stall converter I would be in mid 11's!! After that I jetted my nitrous for a 150 shot, got colder plugs, skinnies, and slicks. I never ran at the track with the 150 but I did race a modded 2001 Z28. He had heads, a cam, lid, pullies, LT's full exhaust, gears, stall etc., that I knew of. Well, in the end I ended up beating him by 2 car lengths, 1 car length and 3 car lengths. I've raced other LS1's with less and spanked them and even one that was basically stock with nitrous and won. Now all I need is Heads, Cams, converter, and a built block and who know where I'll be! I'll be doing all of that stuff soon. So there is how I beat modded LS1's. Hopefully you can look at my mods and get an idea of what you need to do to catch you a pesky LS1.
sorry so long!
~TONY

yeah but....thats a REDICULOUS amount of money you dumped into your car. DAMN!

Tony01GT said:
but if you think about the money thing, for how much money i put into it, and the performance i get out of it, i still saved money if say i baught a vette with less performance than i have....just a thought
Compared with my car, all you've really got is the differential/axels, longtubes, and the N20 right? Hmmm, gives me something to hope for :D:D:D:D *starts saving for zex/nx :D*

Darkhorse845 said:
You had to use nitrous to beat a LS1! :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

you are starting too get like that eddiehaskel guy. does anything you ever say make sense.

read the post, he is talking about beating modded LS-1's hell a stock LS-1 a4 3.23 or m6 car will rape kill murder a 99+ gt. let alone your car. trust me i have been on that end of the stick a few times now. :(

the only LS-1 a stock GT can hang with is a A4 2.73 car. not a 3.23 read before any of you try and flame me.

when your talking about a LS-1 with mods then you need some real power too beat them. I can't belive you have the nerve too come in here and laugh at this guys mid 11 second car.

you should be banned.

BTW tony01gt sounds like you have a sweet car.. nice kills