how to break in new rear end gears?

• Sponsors (?)

My Dad put in my gears, he's a senior/master technician for Ford. We just let the car idle on the hoist for awhile in gear, then I drove easy around the parking lot and easy on the highway for about 20 minutes.

zenboy99 said:
My Dad put in my gears, he's a senior/master technician for Ford. We just let the car idle on the hoist for awhile in gear, then I drove easy around the parking lot and easy on the highway for about 20 minutes.

what gear ratio did u go with?

yeah i cant afford to mess anything up, although the place that did it for me is warrantying everything for me so if something did happen they fix it for free, which is good

My scientific break-in procedure:

1. Make sure the car moves
2. Listen for any wierd sounds coming from the rear end
3. With no sounds present proceed to step four
4. Get on the freeway and blast up 110 speed shifting like a maniac

Hasn't let me down yet...

Jake

GTJake said:
My scientific break-in procedure:

1. Make sure the car moves
2. Listen for any wierd sounds coming from the rear end
3. With no sounds present proceed to step four
4. Get on the freeway and blast up 110 speed shifting like a maniac

Hasn't let me down yet...

Jake
Jake knows well! Put the car in first gear. Make sure there is no whining or clunking sound while letting the clutch out. If not, shift second and try the same thing. If there are no noises in low RPM second, your fine. Go out and give it hell.

Joe

cb18201 said:
i got 4.30s, is there anything special i should do? thanks

After backing up, proceed forward. While dead stopped, rev the car to 4,000 rpm. Lightly come off the clutch, when it's almost engaged floor it. When the RPM reaches 5,500 rpm, slam 2nd. Reach the desired length in second and bang 3rd. You should have went in distance about a 1000 feet. Look in rearview mirror and gaze upon 800 feet of smoke. Gears are broken in now. Enjoy.

yeah i probably didnt make it a quarter mile on my last set of gears before i wound it up as tight as i could and dumped the clutch. there really shouldnt be a break in. just maybe see if it makes funny noises on your way out the drive way. after that. HAMMER IT!

VibrantRedGT said:
After backing up, proceed forward. While dead stopped, rev the car to 4,000 rpm. Lightly come off the clutch, when it's almost engaged floor it. When the RPM reaches 5,500 rpm, slam 2nd. Reach the desired length in second and bang 3rd. You should have went in distance about a 1000 feet. Look in rearview mirror and gaze upon 800 feet of smoke. Gears are broken in now. Enjoy.

:stupid:

Paul