How to change brake pads

Just now I got to work and one of my friend want to see how fast my car is so I take him on a ride. After short hard run I brake it and did u turn . I could smell something burning so I pulled over and saw my front both brakes was smoking. So I came back to work and let it sit., I touch my rotor with my finger and got burned. It was so hot that when I touch it with spit on my finger I could her the sound of burning.

What is wrong ? Did it locked up ? How can it burn and smoke like that .

Need help asap
Sounds like the caliper seized. You can try to take it apart and check the slide pin but the pin is probably seized. A whole new caliper is not very expensive at AutoZone and they come powdercoated in various colors. Consider installing speed bleeders on all four wheels to make bleeding easier. Also consider replacing both calipers on the axle you have the bad one on. Best to replace in pairs...

• Sponsors (?)

I touch my rotor with my finger and got burned. It was so hot that when I touch it with spit on my finger I could her the sound of burning.

not the brightest crayon in the box huh? lol j/k. ive done some pretty dumb things before too. yeah, it may be a seized piston, or, if im not mistaken, i think i remember the 94-98s having slide pins in the caliper. if so, the lube may have dried up and the pin isnt sliding back and forth anymore. either that or you were trying to show off for your buddy, so you were driving the piss outta your car, accelerating and braking hard, thus heating up the rotors to that temp.

That's true he may have just pushed his brakes a bit too far, they may be fine. They wil always be hot to the touch even when working properly. Also, FYI the engine and exhaust also get to hot to touch... :rolleyes:

Perhaps this has something to do with the current problem:

Rear ones are big time PITA cause I didn't have tools to compress caliper but fighting for hours with needle nose pliars and using every ounce of strength we had and we did it .

You should have got the right tool to compress the rear calipers, you would have been done in minutes. It looks like this:

40732.gif

You can borrow it from AutoZone for free.

No coated rotor . I did clean them with brake cleaner . On my way home I did like 40mp and full stop and go then 50mp and stop. I got home it's hot but nothing like it did before and no smoke. So I am thinking I suppose to do this **** after I install brake

7) Use C-clamp to compress pad...if you are doing the rear pads you'll have to either buy the special tool for turning them "in" or just use a needlenose pliars like we did, hold it like this, place the tips in the holes on the circular portion that does the actual moving, and turn it so it moves in. Can't remember if you turn it clockwise or counterclock wise.
8) Lube up the pads well but make sure you don't get any lube on the pad face or the rotor

I got some new pads for my Cobra calipers (fronts), and haven't looked at the caliper yet and forgot what the inside looks like.
Questions:
1. Was there one piston per side of caliper (F/R) or were there two on the front or the back? :nonono: I don't recall lol.
2. Where do you place the C-clamp, over each piston one at a time?
3. Do you put anything between the clamp and the piston (wood, etc)?
4. What "lube" do I gotta go buy?
5. The box came with a few loose metal clips, other than the ones already attached to the pads. What are those for?
6. What size C-clamp do I need to buy?

Thanks.

I got some new pads for my Cobra calipers (fronts), and haven't looked at the caliper yet and forgot what the inside looks like.
Questions:
1. Was there one piston per side of caliper (F/R) or were there two on the front or the back? :nonono: I don't recall lol.Cobra calipers are different than GT's IIRC, so I couldn't tell you this for sure. If what I'm thinking is right, the front caliper has 1 large piston that pushes the pad into the rotor and the other pad is set in place.
2. Where do you place the C-clamp, over each piston one at a time?Just over the piston yeah 1 at a time. If yours has 2 pistons I'd assume doing them 1 at a time would be fine but you COULD play it safe and put a piece of wood over both so tightening the clamp compresses both
3. Do you put anything between the clamp and the piston (wood, etc)?Nope
4. What "lube" do I gotta go buy?Wal Mart Special should be fine, as long as it's labeled "BRAKE LUBE/GREASE" or something like that
5. The box came with a few loose metal clips, other than the ones already attached to the pads. What are those for?Would it be possible to get a picture of them? Only metal clip I can think of is shown here http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Dusstbuster/Picture_1722.jpg Otherwise they might be for the rear brakes. It's been so long I'm starting to forget things!
6. What size C-clamp do I need to buy?The one we use allows it to clamp over about 5" I think...probably from my palm to the last joint on my middle finger

Thanks.

Here's a pic of my front left brake...ignore the drawn on stuff, I had rubbing issues and highlighted them.
BrakeHelp.jpg

If it wasn't pouring out I'd go take a wheel off and get some better pictures but it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon :(

Attachments

• BrakeHelp.jpg
    BrakeHelp.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 63