How to change out the alternator on a 96 3.8???

Jstyle

Mar 26, 2007
I am helping out my little brother today, his alternator has been making a skull peircing whine for the last few weeks and he finally got a new alternator to put in. Anyways I don't normally work on Stang's but I told him I would help. I said go get a manual so I know what I am doing but he is broke... Anyways is there a write up or a how-to anywhere on changing an alternator on a 96 3.8??? Thanks in advance...

J

BTW: I tried a search but I couldn't find anything sorry if this is a dumb question...

• Sponsors (?)

It should be pretty easy without instructions. Remove the belt (I think it's a spring tensioner that you have to lever out of the way with a socket), unplug the wiring, and unbolt the alternator. If the new one doesn't have a pulley, you'll need to pull the old pulley and press it onto the shaft of the new one (don't hammer it on).

Cool I haven't even had a chance to look under the hood yet so I have no idea what his set up even looks like. Is there any hoses or anything that needs to come out of the way?

Ok I started to change it out and I can't seem to get the belt loose... I am trying to find an allen key to go in this. I think this is the right size but damn this thing wont turn. Am I being 'tarded or something??? This is a pic of what I think is the Tensioner with the allen key sticking out of it...
tensioner.jpg

Attachments

• tensioner.jpg
    tensioner.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 209
allen key. LOL!!! jk...

There is a 3/8" square hole on that lever towards the pulley that takes a standard socket. The spring is very strong though, so you'll need to use a two or three foot cheater bar to get enough leverage to move it. Lever it counterclockwise and pull the belt off once it's loose. Just don't get your fingers trapped under the belt!

The square in my tensior pulley chipped apart and I ended up having to use a socket on the bolt on the pulley -- which was easier. I was able to do it with a standard length 1/2" socket.

But yeah, other than that there are 3 electrical connections and 2 bolts that hold the alternator on.

Ok so the allen key is in the right area I should be putting in a 3/8's socket right? I am gonna look at the pulley again this morning hopefully it will come right off...

stop... the allen bolt holds the tensioner to the block do not turn that one!!
you need a socket to go over the bolt that holds the pulley on.
lift up (you want the the rachet in reverse and the end of the ratchet facing the drivers side for leverage... this is not hard...

first thing is first disconnect negative battery terminal only..
second.. get a visual of where the belt is going draw your own little diagram on a piece of paper which way the belt loops around the pulleys..
third... release the belt tensioner like i told you in the previous post..not by the allen bolt.
forth.. remove the belt and attack the alternator bolts that secure it to the bracket
third..gently remove the bolt that holds the wire on (10mm socket) and carefully pull the tabs that are holding the two plugs.. do not attempt to remove the 2 plugs intil you have the alt removed from the bracket that way you can see down to the bottom of the plug and visually see the tab holding it in place ..you need to lift the tab away with a sm screwdriver and pull the plug out..
fifth..reverse procedure to install