how to change pickup coil!?

85/96gt

Mar 27, 2004
anyone no how to change the pickup coil in dizzy???i can't figure it out .. take out the pin im told and take off the gear? i took it out but i cant get the gear off.. any tell me how to change this?? thanks..
p.s ...85 mustang gt

• Sponsors (?)

I believe you have to have some sort of press to get the new gear in or something. Hissin50 sent me a link a while back with a pretty good writeup of what changing it out entails. He may be able to chime in if he catches the thread.

Anyways.. a reman dizzy from Autozone doesn't cost much.. just a thought.

Good luck either way!

hmm so i have to have a gear puller? are they expensive?? ware can i get them? also what is a reluctor..? thanks for you help
hm maybe i wold have been better off going with a new dizzy.. kinda ona budget tho.. thanks for all th help

Sgarlic, I looked real quick and cant find whatever I sent you before. :bang:
The write up I have is for electrical testing the TFI and PIP mostly.

Here is a dedicated tool for this procedure.

Sgarlic is right about a reman'd dizzy, especially if you notice excessive run-out with your existing one (run out can take out a PIP, and will likely take-out a new PIP). The dizzy has one bushing and that is about it.

Good luck.

hmm wait why is everyone saying i need to pull the gear..?? you dont have to do that.... i got the old one off... but there is a bearing around the shaftthat holds the pickup down.. looks liek it needs to be pounded slightly into the bottom of the around the shaft so that it holds the pickup tight.. i got a socket and a ahmmer.. no luck! i cannot get it in there . i dont no what to do .. maybe it does not go like that? anyone no what im talking about or have any suggestions????

"Sgarlic is right about a reman'd dizzy, especially if you notice excessive run-out with your existing one (run out can take out a PIP, and will likely take-out a new PIP). "

what's run out?...and whats pip??? thanks fr your help everyone..

85/96gt said:
"Sgarlic is right about a reman'd dizzy, especially if you notice excessive run-out with your existing one (run out can take out a PIP, and will likely take-out a new PIP). "

what's run out?...and whats pip??? thanks fr your help everyone..
No offense, but maybe a reman'd dizzy is not a bad idea. I have no idea how you removed the PIP w/o pulling the gear.

PIP = Profile Ignition Pickup. That would be the part you are replacing.

Run out, crudly stated, can be thought of as: does the dizzy (distributor) shaft wobble around if you wiggle it, or is it tight? If it wobbles, the bushing might have seen better days. And that wobbling can damage a new PIP.

Good luck.

I think a reman. dizzy is only about 90 bucks after the core charge..not to sure about that though, i replaced the one in my friends 95 and there was tons of play in it. I would just get a remanufactured one. i cant seem to remember the exact price though.

hmmm i guss it does wobble..very very slightly.. it does have 150 000 miles on it .. ii was trying to avoid buying a new dizzy .. but maybe i will.. ha even tho ive been working on this alllllll night...

"I have no idea how you removed the PIP w/o pulling the gear. "

hmm the guy in autozone said i would need to remove the gear to... and i have NNOOOOOOO idea why you would need to do that? i definatly did not need to remove it .

HISSIN50 said:
No offense, but maybe a reman'd dizzy is not a bad idea. I have no idea how you removed the PIP w/o pulling the gear.

Just remember that with a reman'd dizzy, if the PIP was good (tested) when they checked it they will leave it in there and not replace it. In other words, you are still getting used parts and no telling when it will go out.

You cannot replace the PIP without using a press. If you bend the shaft, you are hosed.

Tim