How to check for a bad idler arm?

86T-Top

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Dublin, PA
I'm in the process of redoing my steering system. I have converted the factory power steering to a Borgeson box, replaced both inner and outer tie rods and put a fresh alignment on the car. I didn't replace the idler arm, because I replaced it about 5,000 miles ago, however when I took it out for a test drive the car wandered down the road. I set the alignment to +3.25* caster, -0.5* camber, and 1/8" toe in. Checking over the steering system again I found that I have free play on the passenger side tire. With the passenger side tire off the ground and the driver side tire on the ground, I grabbed the passenger wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and could move the tire left and right. Now the entire control link moves and it is piviting at the idler arm. If I check from the driver side (with the driver side tire off the ground and the passenger side tire on the ground) there is much less play on that side. All the new steering parts are made by Moog, and they all appear to be tight. Can someone tell me how to check the idler arm?

Thanks,

Mario

• Sponsors (?)

I should mention that the car has 1" drop 620 front springs, Shelby drop, 235/40zr18 tires up front with a 1" wheel adapter bolted to a Granada brake setup.

The idlers arm moves up and down when you turn the pass. Tire left and right.