How to check the condition of a supercharger

FalconGuy016

Oct 26, 2004
Northern VA
I'm looking into a fully built supercharged Mustang tomorrow and the only bad news about it is that the supercharger has an oil leak. It's a Vortech, looks to be an S or SQ from the pictures.

It's a dealer that can't sell it because it won't pass emissions in that state. It's really a nice car though, sean hylands built block, vortech S or SQ, full steeda road race suspension, a new T5600 apparently a built one maybe viper spec(?), fuel cell, all sorts of things.

Now I was wondering what to look for in an oil leak for a supercharger. I simply have no clue. I'm hoping it's as simple as a loose or worn line or something but I don't know. Does anybody know anything about oil leaks in superchargers? I.e. like if it's coming out of here, it probably means this, or if it's coming out of there, it probably means that, something like that.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

if it's comming from the oil return line, it's probably just the fitting. if it's comming from the housing, it's probably a seal. really those are the only possibilities i can think of. how much oil are we talking about here?

I don't have any idea I have to go see it tomorrow. Unfortunately it's really far so I just want to be prepared beforehand to know what to look for. Are both those cheap to repair?

the fitting would be inexpensive. if you are lucky, someone just didn't put tape on the threads. if it's a seal (which rarely is the case with a Vortech) then you can look on ebay and try to replace it yourself if you think you can do it. if you do, check the bearings as well.

i had a turbo rebuilt recently and it was 350. i dont see how a supercharger could be much different. its pretty much just a turbo with a pulley instead of a turbine.