How To Check Tps Voltage

• Sponsors (?)

Ha, just set mine yesterday...
you'll need a digital voltmeter.
First find a good ground for the voltmeter. Attach the black VM wire to the ground, and check with the red wire to the battery. You should see 12.5-13.5 something in that range.
Now, turn the key to "on" but dont have the car running. Stick the red voltmeter wire into the green wire going to the tps. You want this to read .98-.99 volts. If its off, you simply loosen the screws holding the tps in place, and "rotate" it around and get it to .99
Now tighten the screws back up, and make sure it stayed .99
I like to check the "sweep" of the tps as well. WIth the car off, but key on, have someone slowly step on the gas and watch the volts climb to around 4.5 or 4.8 and then when they let off the gas, sweep back down. IF there are dead spots or you dont get more than 4.5 volts at WOT time for a new TPS sensor. You'll want to reset the computer after setting the .99 volts. ( detach neg batt cable for 15 mins)
Good luck, its easy. :cheers:

DouglasOhio said:
Ha, just set mine yesterday...
you'll need a digital voltmeter.
First find a good ground for the voltmeter. Attach the black VM wire to the ground, and check with the red wire to the battery. You should see 12.5-13.5 something in that range.
Now, turn the key to "on" but dont have the car running. Stick the red voltmeter wire into the green wire going to the tps. You want this to read .98-.99 volts. If its off, you simply loosen the screws holding the tps in place, and "rotate" it around and get it to .99
Now tighten the screws back up, and make sure it stayed .99
I like to check the "sweep" of the tps as well. WIth the car off, but key on, have someone slowly step on the gas and watch the volts climb to around 4.5 or 4.8 and then when they let off the gas, sweep back down. IF there are dead spots or you dont get more than 4.5 volts at WOT time for a new TPS sensor. You'll want to reset the computer after setting the .99 volts. ( detach neg batt cable for 15 mins)
Good luck, its easy. :cheers:
Isn't the negative on the voltmeter supposed to be inserted into the black wire on the TPS and not to the chassis?

cjman15 said:
Do you have to strip tha green wire??

Use the black/white wire for ground. The green wire is TPS signal. The orange/red wire is Vref (5 volts). Use safety pins to probe the TPS connector to make your adjustments.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the tps went by resistance? I've set mine many times with the throtle body off the car. Its much easier to get to on the 94-95s that way.I've always had to remove the IAC valve to get at the screws on the switch. Never had a problem doing it that way. Am I wrong?