How to Choke?

geostang351

Mar 30, 2005
Danb., CT
I have a 351W with a 600 CFM edelbrock carb with manual choke. Since I've had this engine, I've never had the manual choke cable installed. Can someone explain what the choke does exactly and what procedure do I use to start the car by using the choke? Until now, I pump the gas, crank it, pump gas, crank it until it starts. I then have to sit in the car and apply the pedal slightly to keep the car running until it warms up. Can anyone help me as to how to start my car without having to sit in it for 15 minutes? I will buy a cable, but don't know how to use it. Thanks.

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

You could buy an electric choke kit. Easier to use in my opinion.

but if you use the cable... Close the choke when you start the car. It richens the mixture for easier starting. As the car warms up you will notice it running rougher, possibly smoking a bit (running rich) as this continues, open the choke until it smooths out. Once the car is warm, you should have the choke all the way off.

Electric works on the same principle, only it has a built in heater that adjusts the choke automatically.

The original carb had a spring that was heated by the heater hose that went by it. Same principle for all. Open the choke as the engine warms up.

Well this could be explained with alot of detail but your choke is the plate or butterfly at the top of your carb and simply acts as a restricter to reduce the amount of air entering the carb. A cold engine starts better with less air and a little more fuel. Restricting the airflow causes the engine to suck more fuel out of the bowl thru the idle port. As the engine warms up it needs less fuel and more air till it can run on a more efficient mixture. When you hook your cable up make sure you have full travel of the choke plate from full open to full closed. Thats really the only adjustment you need to make since operation will be manual.

To start your car pull your cable handle all the way out which will close the choke plate.Pump gas a couple times.Then try to start. You may have to move the handle a little to get it to run smooth and also as it warms up you will have to push the handle back in till finally its in all the way and the engine runs smooth.

This should help you not to have to wait to warm up.

P.S. Electic chokes do all this for you so if you ever change carbs consider going with electric choke.

The Electric conversion kit for the Edelbrock carb is $65 MAX and it's relatively easy to install. Just do that, much less of a headache! If you run into problems installing it, send it to me. I'll install it for you if you pay for the shipping.

It richens the mixture for easier starting.

It also moves a stepped cam to open the throttle blades a tad.

On my Edelbrock, (if it's been more than a couple days) I crank for about 5 seconds to make sure there's fuel to the carb..wait a couple seconds, pull the choke all the way out, crank with about 1/3 throttle until it kicks over. Once running, push the choke in half way, while reving it to about 1-2k for about another 5 seconds and it then settles into a nice idle. Once the temp gage starts to move I can push the choke all the way in.

It also moves a stepped cam to open the throttle blades a tad.

On my Edelbrock, (if it's been more than a couple days) I crank for about 5 seconds to make sure there's fuel to the carb..wait a couple seconds, pull the choke all the way out, crank with about 1/3 throttle until it kicks over. Once running, push the choke in half way, while reving it to about 1-2k for about another 5 seconds and it then settles into a nice idle. Once the temp gage starts to move I can push the choke all the way in.

I have the same problem with fuel staying up by the carb if it sits a few days. I have a clear fuel filter to see if there is gas in the line and usally after a week there is not. IT takes like you said about 5 sec of cranking to get the fuel up. I guess I'll buy and electric choke and install it. Thanks for the help!:SNSign:

I also have an edelbrock with manual choke I am getting set to install. If I stick with the manual, where could I get the cable from? Also, will I have to rip apart the dash to install? If so, maybe I'll go with the automatic kit as well. I take it that's a pretty easy switch? Thanks.

If you go with a manual choke, don't get a cheap cable like I did (I think it was $10 at Kmart several years ago). The cheap cable had so much flex in it, I could pull the knob in and out 1-1/2" and it barely moved the choke plate.

When I get a new manifold/carb, I'm definitely goiong electric.