How to Clean out the MAF in inlet tube???

PonyBoy90

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
Toronto
I've heard stories about people having some idling and cold starting issues all on account of the MAF sensor-wires in the air inlet-tube being all gummed up with old K&N filter oil.

Anyone here know what I'm talking about and what it is I'm looking for?

I understand basically that what I'm looking for is in the secondary inlet tube after the one that comes out of the stock air-filter box and than inside the inlet tube is a mesh screen that I need to take off to expose these MAF sensors. Is this correct?????????????

What do I use to clean off the MAF sensors? I hear a special spray for electronic components and Q-tips.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah the q-tips work great, just be gentle and get rid of the MAF screens

I had a problem with oil from a new filter jacking with my mas air. found oil all in my intake tract, works great now, but theres more oil in the tube. but hasnt given me problems yet so i will see what happens.

vristang said:
I love Brake Cleaner!

No chance of messing up those sensitive wires, and no residue left behind.

jason

By using the brake cleaner, are you saying the stuff works so well that I don't need to use Q-tips to clean the sensors? The brake cleaner is so effective it just eats off the K&N oil? Or do I still need to use Q-tips?

Brake cleaner isn't to harsh now is it? I don't want to "melt" the sensors :p

PonyBoy90 said:
By using the brake cleaner, are you saying the stuff works so well that I don't need to use Q-tips to clean the sensors? The brake cleaner is so effective it just eats off the K&N oil? Or do I still need to use Q-tips?

Brake cleaner isn't to harsh now is it? I don't want to "melt" the sensors :p

At first I was worried about the brake cleaner eating the plastic of the sensor, but I tried to get the plastic to melt and couldn't do it. Ford used a good plastic there.

Q-tips are not needed. I just hold the sensor away from my body, and give it a good spray. Be aware of where your overspray is going, and wear some safety glasses. The brake cleaner is under some pressure.

I do believe brake cleaner and electrical parts cleaner is the same stuff. I never compared 'active ingredients' though.

jason