How to fix torque boxes?

NastE50

Founding Member
May 21, 2002
IL
My 5.0 has a ripping 331 in it (AFR 185's, Trickflow Intake, tfs cam, full exhaust) and my car runs like a dream except for the rear suspension. I would have to say that my torque boxes are really torn up. The owner before me had southside machine lift bars on the car and over the last 4 years they have gotten really bad. I installed Southside uppers and Granatelli weight jacker lowers. The granatellis were garbage!!!!! The didn't fit in the axle mount at all! I had to bend the flanges out for it to fit. Eventually, they did a nasty job on my torqueboxes even with torque box reinforcements i put in. I now have Pro3 industries solid lowers and they are great but there is a nasty clunking at when my car gets hiccups or when i downshift. Visually, I dont know how the suspension can support the car the way the metal is torn. I live in Northern Illinois and I am a fulltime student so money is hard to come by. Does anyone know how or where I can get these boxes fixed or welded up for CHEAP? I love my car and this REALLY bothers me! I took a ride in my buddies 1999 GT and I WISH my car was that solid. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The only two ways I know of fixing them is reconstruction or re-welding with reinforcements. But if they are broken than your car would get "squirrely" on acceleration. Have you tried replacing or inspecting the bushings back there? Also if there is a clunk sound on deceleration, then it is usually from the rear end on driveshaft or most commonly the U-joints.

Ya has anyone fixed their before? Mine are all ripped up looking I don't understand how the car is holding a straight line, im afraid to do a hard launch now thinking that it might just start ripping more...... How to fix?! thanks

NastE50 said:
My 5.0 has a ripping 331 in it (AFR 185's, Trickflow Intake, tfs cam, full exhaust) and my car runs like a dream......

off the topic...

but i have a supercharged 302
*afr 185's
*trickflow stage 3 cam
*powerdyne supercharger 9lbs
*efi spyder intake ported victor jr.
what tfs cam do you have?
im wondering if my afr 185's
tfs stage 3 cam
and intake are too big for my lil 302... boost i dont think will bring it that much then like a stroker? what do you think... thnx [tony]

hey torque box repair

Hey, when I bought my mustang the lowers were beat up, drivers side really ripped. In NY we have some really good fabricators, I bought wild rides battle boxes and hardware, new upper and lower control arms (the factory ones are garbage) and bushings, and took the car to Crazy Don's in Long Island (He is the dark horse of chassis fab/repair). He had to perform some surgery on the lower torque boxes, and then bolted and welded the battle boxes into place. Installed the rear end and control arms for me, upgraded my swaybar, and did you joints as well for a total labor charge of: $600.00
The battle boxes and upper/lower control arms were: $450.00
Costing me a little over a G note. But, the car launches
straight, tracks better and handles better.

battle boxes are all well and good, but if you pulled the spot welds out of the upper mounts and they are seperating from the car, you got serious problems! Wild rides race cars makes the "s box" for really f-d up torque boxes, it's money but do you really want to skimp on the rear falling out of the car? The install is time consuming, but not that difficult as far as suspension/fab work goes, a days worth of time, a spot weld cutter and a mig welder is all you really need. ***NEW***S-BOX *** Adjustable Upper Torque Box Replacement Kit  :: Chassis Components :: WILD RIDES RACE CARS