How to get a custom chip?

Everyone keeps telling me I need my car tuned after the headswap. How do I do this? Do I get a chip made for my car? How do I? Do I have to take my car somewhere? Can I do it over the phone or computer? What is the best chip to get? Can I install it myself or do is it better to have someone else do it? Should I get one of those had held programers? Fill me in here I'm lost in the whole world of chips and tunes? What will they even do? Thanks! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

u can either find a place that will put it on a dyno, make some runs & burn a chip for you or order a "custom" chip from a place like modular depot or diablo or what-ever & tell them what u have & what your mods are & hope they do a good job with it. dyno would prob be best, but more $. i have one sct from modular depot & love mine. u can pm KenB on stangnet, he can prob tell u alot more about it than i could. u can install a chip yourself if u do mail order chip. with headswap, i'd say u may want to go with dyno, but i'm kind of just guessing on that part.

best bet is to go to your local performance shop with a chassis dyno and have them tune it. usually it costs a bit more than you'd expect but the outcome is worth it.

k - i have a question
a couple weeks ago i had a custom chip burnt for my 99 gt.
they did a dyno tune and everything
the tune was originally done to fix the speedo, a/f, and ses light
i aslo wanted to do anything and everything that i could to get more horsepower but, even after 9 passes, they couldn't get more than about 4 horses.
It was SCT (superchips custom tuning) which usually gains at least 15.
The guy said the only thing is that could have given us problems was that either the car didn't react well to the tune, or that there could be something hindering the tune.

What could have caused my problem is what I'm wondering.

I dont even know how to find a plcae around here that does that? Where do I even look? The phone book doesnt list Mustang performance shops, so what do I do from here? Should I try an over the phone chip? Oh by the way, if I get a chip, then decide to add more go-fast parts on my car will this throw everything off?

just try looking for performance shops or speed shops, or tuners. look under automobile section for a place that has a dyno at least. & ask them for some help. got to be some in your area; i would think anyway.

Yes I would definetly try and get your car on the dyno...up here in PA you can get unlimited pulls for $100 and get a/f wideband also. If your going to do the mail order chip wait til u think u have just about all the mods you want and then tell them what u have and what to burn cuz it will throw things off a bit if u add more to it later...i mean it would still run and run good but could run better if tuned to better parts. get what im saying? dyno tune is the way to go and im sure they have some in chicago.

Yeah so far by asking around on Stangnet & Corral I found a Ford dealer within 5 miles of my house that does dynotunning. I had no clue they do this kind of work, I mean how'm I supposed to know. They don't advertise. Thanks for your help though. I think I'll get s'more bolt on's and then get tunned. If I decide to get nirtous or a supercharger in a couple of months hould I re-tune the car. Or will the tune not do anything for nitrous/supercharger applications?