How to get the fuel rail off old injectors?

cmills26

Nov 26, 2003
I went to change my fuel injectors and had a really hard time getting the fuel rail off the old injectors. I unscrewed the 2 bolts and tried lifting it up buy to no avail. I also noticed that when I tried to lift it off, that some fuel squirted out at me. Is this normal? Can someone tell me the step by step method they use to change the injectors?

• Sponsors (?)

you need to take off your upper intake and the unscrew the four little bolts holding the fuel rail down. Rotate each injector to make sure they are not froozeThen you just lift it up, they may stick a little but thats normal .. There maybe be pressure still so try to blead it off the best you can... Do it on a cool engine...

I usually pull the entire rail assembly and injectors out of the lower intake as a unit. Then pull each injector out at an angle. Just lean the injector to the side while twisting and pulling it. They can be a little stubborn. When you install them use some light oil on the o-rings, such as 3 in 1.

Its not really bad, but it just makes a mess. If you go to the trunk and remove the carpeting right in front the driver's side tail light you will see a small box with a red button. Unplug the harness to that box and crank the engine for 5-7 seconds. You will need a phillips screwdriver to remove the top screw on the carpeting/panel that covers the driver's side tail light. That box simply controls the fuel pump and by unplugging the harness you will kill power to the pump.