How to get tint adhesive off with out destroying rear defroster...

• Sponsors (?)

When I tinted we always used a solution of water and ammonia.

When you peel the tint off the back window look at the defroster lines closely from the inside. If you see sections of line that are brighter orange then that line is broken and won't work.

trents99 said:
When I tinted we always used a solution of water and ammonia.

When you peel the tint off the back window look at the defroster lines closely from the inside. If you see sections of line that are brighter orange then that line is broken and won't work.
This is probably whats gonna happen. Probably should be prepared for the defroster not to work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

0000 steel wool.Yes,steel wool.It removed every bit from my rear window (with defroster),leaves the glass nice and stripped,doesn't hurt or scratch the glass,and doesn't hurt the defroster.You may just be amazed.No messy cleanup either.Just rub the tint residue that's left after peeling off the film.

Ammonia and cover with trash bag...let sit an hour or so and pull off tint and glue will scrape right off!

That is the best way for the rear window. Humidity makes tint peel right off.

You can also use a steam vac, or just soapy water.

Basically park the car with the rear window facing the sun. Cut a trash bag to fit EXACTLY the shape of the rear window. Spray down the tint with the soapy water soultion and place the trash bag ontop of the tint flat up against it. Let it "cook" in the sun for an hour or two with the windows up checking back from time to time to reappy the soapy solution.

After some time, see if oyu can lift an edge of the tint. It should peel right off as a complete sheet.

If you lift a corner and have access to a steamer, you can peel while steaming the seam and the tint will peel off easily as well.

That is the recommended method for defroster lines as it doesn't damage the lines.