How to go about replacing battery cables?...

• Sponsors (?)

If you have another car to take a trip to napa, just remove your old cables, go into the parts store and compare lengths.

If not, measure how long they are and tell them the length of cable you need. Thats how battery cables are usually catagorized, by length.

batt cables

I agree with the first two posts but I have, more stock ford cabling is not great go with a lower guage wire (lower guage bigger wire) and replace both wires with the same guage wiring. It is good that you are replacing them before they give you trouble. My ground wire went bad and gave me all kinds of charging blinking and other drama before I figured it out! Oh well good luck! :nice:

to add to Kdog's post: numerically smaller number is a bigger cable. eg, #4 cable is smaller than #2. going a little bigger is a good idea.

Also, the book at Checkers says to use a wire length that is substantially longer than what was in my car. My friend went with what was in the book, and ended up having to bundle up a bunch of wire behind the coil cover...