How To Hang The Exhaust

Mustang Jim

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2001
New Jersey
OK, I've installed the new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. The transmission is in place and so is the clutch linkage, drive shaft,
parking brake cable and shifter. Now, on to the the transmission.

The car originally came with a single exhaust and I've picked up a dual exhaust that I'm now installing. The kit I bought came with only 2 universal hangers. Is that it? I'm thinking now that I probably need 4 hangers.

The mufflers do not have any location to attach the hanger. So I'm figuring that, with what I have now, I would attach the hanger on the clamp at the rear of the muffler. Would I then attach the hanger to the floorpan? Drill a hole through the floor and use a nut and bolt to attach the hanger? I know the tailpipe gets attached on the rear framerail near the spring shackle.

Any recommendations? How has everyone else handled going from a single to a dual exhaust?

Thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

Throw that universal crap away and get this. By the way, if you haven't converted your rear axle hose to the dual exhaust type you'll probably die.

12-15.jpg

I forgot that. Yes, I changed the brake line on the rear for the dual exhaust. I don't have the plate on the floorpan to attach the muffler hanger and my mufflers do not have an attachment point for the hangers. I can mount the plates, but it does not look like I can use the stock hangers for that spot.

Any ideas?

Me, I'd weld a couple of brackets made from 14ga steel on the back end of the generic mufflers. Too bad, the shop near here sells conversion exhaust with the brackets. Attaching the factory dual exhaust hangers to the floor is easy. You don't need the factory floor pan.

The 64-66 cars with single exhaust had the rear brake hose near the center, looping up. This puts the hose in contact with the LH tailpipe if you convert to dual exhaust. 64-66 dual exhaust cars had the hose mounted outboard, looping downward to clear the exhaust. To make this change, you need the hose, axle housing lines, shorter hose bolt, underbody bracket, and extension line for the standard steel line (or complete replacement of the long line). You can get the first three most any Mustang shop, but the bracket and extension are made by Glazier Nolan.

There is an L stamped in the floor of most 64-66 Mustangs to locate the bracket. The original was welded, of course, but you could bolt it on, too.

6466.jpg

That universal stuff will not fit very well at all. Either get a prefab OE style kit or take it to an exhaust shop. Those are the only two options are far as I'm concerned.