how to install my Kenwood w/MACH 460

horspowr

Feb 13, 2004
ATL
I just bought a brand new Kenwood MP3/CD and wasnt to install it w/ my stock Mach 460 amps and speakers. How do I wire it w.out frying them or what harness do I need to buy?
Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

horspowr said:
I just bought a brand new Kenwood MP3/CD and wasnt to install it w/ my stock Mach 460 amps and speakers. How do I wire it w.out frying them or what harness do I need to buy?
Thanks guys
Alright You got to go buy the correct harness it is for the mid 90's premium sound for the ford i cant remember the number but just tell the guy at the shop what you drive. It has a grey plug that is a rectangle and a small black square one, that is the harness you need i strongly reccomend buying a level converter that you wire in the speaker harnes so that you can adjust the level going to the stock amps, harness should be stocked at any electronics store same with level converter after that it is just color for color and very quick and painless let me know if you need more help Dan

Saxman is correct, except when you do get the Ford harness, you'll need to bypass the Mach 460. I had to do this with my 95, as I didn't the first time, and ended up receiving a new stereo from Clarion because not bypassing it blew out my entire left channel (too many watts returning to the head unit, or something like that?). If you're looking into the hole where the stereo goes, there's a second set of plugs down to the right I believe, in the dash. Those are the ones you have to use. Unfortunately, once I did it, my system then sounded like crap, because there wasn't enough wattage going through the speakers. *sigh* Solving that problem was easy for me though... I put some 12" Phoenix gold subs in the trunk, and wired an amp for the front speakers. Good luck, hope it sounds good!

-Matt

StangGT1995 said:
Saxman is correct, except when you do get the Ford harness, you'll need to bypass the Mach 460.
Sorry man but i'll need to clarify something here those plugs down in the panel are for the tweets only thats why it sounded like poop when u used them, The deck could not have been blown by wattage coming back, maybe you got a bad ground but hooking it to the mach system would not blow the deck up. You can hook it up without the level converter i mentioned but then it is harder on the factory amps but with the harness and the level converter it will sound great and utilize the stock amps. Dan

Hmm... I'm not sure, I didn't wanna chance it and lose another unit, so I did what the Clarion authorized installer told me to do, being instructed directly from Clarion. Sounds better with the aftermarket amps than the factory ones anyway. :nice: I have the factory amps removed (and actually have no rear speakers at the moment), so my subs would fit under the rear deck, but it still sounds good. Planning to add some aftermarket speakers to the deck though, for a fuller sound.

-Matt

There are two kits from Metra, who makes wiring harnesses for nearly all cars. There is a kit for the Ford Premium sound system (same for Premium Sound and Mach 460), model number 70-5514. I've had it installed on my 'Stang for years with different head units, and never had a problem. It's $15-$25 online, depending on where you go.

There is a Mach 460 kit, 70-5519, but it's for a 2000+ Ford. Bought one by mistake, spliced it all together, then it wouldn't plug into my harness. Anyone need a Mach 460 adaptor for a 2000+ Mustang? PM me if interested.

Instructions are vauge with the kit, but each wire is marked on the wire. Just splice all the available wires together between the Metra harness and the one that came with your head unit. If you end up with a few that don't match up, that's OK. The important ones will.

Sorry man but i'll need to clarify something here those plugs down in the panel are for the tweets only thats why it sounded like poop when u used them, The deck could not have been blown by wattage coming back, maybe you got a bad ground but hooking it to the mach system would not blow the deck up. You can hook it up without the level converter i mentioned but then it is harder on the factory amps but with the harness and the level converter it will sound great and utilize the stock amps. Dan
installed a kenwood stereo and speakers in my 94 mustang convertible. installed speakers in door and back but also still have the mach 460 tweeters in the door and in the back. tweeters work but the kenwood speakers do not work. sounds like crap. I read something about by-passing the mach 460 tweeters. any ideas?

The Mach 460 speakers carry both the mid-range and the bass, so you can't just replace the door speakers with aftermarket ones - you lose all your bass. If you want to replace parts of the Mach 460 system, most just recommend you pull it all out and run your own wires.