How to Loosen Stuck Distributor ?

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
Trying to tweak the timing on the 351C, but can't get the distributor to rotate. I soaked it with PB Blaster, tapped lightly on it with a hammer and tried an oil filter wrench, but that keeps slipping off. Any other thoughts?

Note: A few years ago I went through this on the 302. Ended up starting a small fire as I ignited the PB Blaster with a torch.

• Sponsors (?)

I would stay away from heat as a method. Open the distributor cap up and check inside to see if something is effed up in there that would cause it not to rotate. You did remember to loosen the hold down bolt right ?

can you pull it up at all if you take the hold down clamp off ?

I did loosen the hold down (heck, I removed the hold-down) and there is no way I can pull this thing straight up. I used more persuasive force with the hammer and got it to move. Basically, the only way to adjust it is with the hammer.

Yup, they can really be a bear to break loose. The only way I have done it is the same method you are using... Continue to let it soak and then persuade it with a dead blow hammer (don't kill it). After getting it to move a bit, give it another squirt and let it sit some more. PB Blaster is about the best stuff you can use and it will do it's job, just need to be patient.

Liquid wrench is far superior to PB blaster. About the only thing better then liquid wrench is Kroil but that stuff is WAY expensive and somewhat hard to find.
Apparently ATF + Acetone mixed 1 to 1 beats them all. Here's a link to a thread I posted a few years ago on this topic: "Penetrating Oil Test" .

Now if only I paid attention to my own posts I wouldn't still be using PB Blaster.

You are 100% correct. I don't usually post about the acetone/ATF mix because it is messy and doesn't come in a spray can. As far as store bought stuff goes, I like liquid wrench for its ease of availability and reasonable price point.

If I had more space to store things/mix things I'd definately go the acetone/ATF route myself.