How to Make Fogs work with low and hi beams on newer Stangs

JDraper

Aug 31, 2004
McVeytown, PA
For those interested, I figured out how to make the Fogs stay on with the hi beams in the newer Mustangs. I looked into doing the mod that is posted over on Mustang world on my '04 Mach 1, but my Fogs worked differently. The switch is powered all the time, and there is a "foglight cutout relay" in the power distribution box. To make the Fogs stay on is quite simple. All you have to do is remove the pin that supplies the 12V to the foglight cutout relay when the hi-beams are engaged. In the pix below, the location of the relay in the power distribution box is shown (with the relay removed), and the insert shows which pin to cut. Works like a charm!! The nice thing about this mod is you can just go buy a new relay if you have inspection issues in your state.

attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

why the heck would that be a law? It gets really dark and lets face it the lights on the mustangs suck. i have found that you can hold the turn signal button toards the steering wheel and everythign will light up. but you do have to hold it there. :shrug:

Go HoTO! said:
BTW, it is against the law t have fog lights on with high beams, so watch the tickets.
They are gonna hate me when I finally get my (4) Hella Freeforms up there then.
:D

JDraper, you are the man :hail2:

I don't even know why the fog lights are there....style I guess. They put out about as much illumination as a cigarette lighter.
:rlaugh::rlaugh:

Acutally, I need more light and any help I can get will sufice.
My Hella's would've been up weeks ago but I keep breaking drill bits trying to get through the bumper :bang:

I personally like how the foglights shut off when the high beams are triggered.

Great for getting another driver's attention at night imo.

Not to mention the fact that stock fogs are practically useless anyway.

For those interested, the replacement relay carries the Ford part # F57B-14B192-AA.

I didn't go the jumper route for a couple reasons. First, I didn't want to jam a wire into the connector and risk spreading the contacts (yes, you could put spade connectors on the wire and have it fit right), and second, I'm just anal about keeping all the electrical components in their respective housings :D

Go HoTO! said:
BTW, it is against the law t have fog lights on with high beams, so watch the tickets.

Technically it's illegal to drive with foglights on PERIOD if it's not a foggy night.

And yes, i was pulled over in a buddy's Cobra for driving with the fog lights on. Just a BS way to make contact with someone.

I used spade terminals at each end of the jumper, and recommend them for the reasons mentioned. They are the same size as the relay terminals so no damage to the socket will occur. The jumper cost less than 50 cents and took two minutes to make.

I did this to my Cobra almost a year ago. Simple mod.

And who cares if it is against the law to have your high beams and fogs on at the same time. When I see another car coming, I turn my high beams off anyway, just like 99.9% of people. So what's the big deal. Another stupid law.

GM intermediate models (Cutlass, Century, Gran Prix, etc.) have long used their fog lights as "daytime running lights". They are advertised as both fog lights and DRLs, and are always on when the ignition is on, day or night, rain or shine. I don't see any of these cars being stopped for having lights on in clear conditions.

Daytime running lights and driving lights and fog lights are all technically different things even if the light illuminates from the same bulb.

Why give a cop an excuse to pull you over? You can't use high beams and driving lights/fog lights at the same time and be legal. Just like you can't use your brights while driving behind someone. That is also illegal even if you are trying to get someone to move out of the way.

Go HoTO! said:
Daytime running lights and driving lights and fog lights are all technically different things even if the light illuminates from the same bulb.

Why give a cop an excuse to pull you over? You can't use high beams and driving lights/fog lights at the same time and be legal. Just like you can't use your brights while driving behind someone. That is also illegal even if you are trying to get someone to move out of the way.
So right, Blake. First off, when you're using the fog lights for when they are intended, ya know, when it's foggy :bang: , you wouldn't want your high beams on, as this would just reflect off the fog right back at you - surely some of you have observed this? :shrug: The function of fog lights is to undercut the fog...that's why they are mounted low.
But I ain't ashamed to admit I'm with most of you all who run their fogs by default, when the headlights are on...just to show that, yep, it's a GT.
On the otherhand, I don't want any extra bright, blue, purple, green or whatever lights...this just give the cops a reason...or makes you more identifiable to cops/witnesses. :D In this sense, I want to be like every other black or blue stang on the streets (nope officer, it wasn't me...it musta been some other GT).

Lights depend on what state your in, here in FL you can run your "fogs" at any time, even with High Beams.

316.233 Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.--

(2) FOG LAMPS.--Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified in s. 316.237(1)(b).

Notice it says used with lower beams, but does not state you cannot use them with high beams. You have to read between the lines here.

I call BS on that! It's as plain as day....you can only use them with low beams. That would mean, you can only use them with low beams.

Laws are always written like that. I will give you $10 bucks if you get nailed for a ticket and read that statement to the Judge. You have to have it on video for all of us to get a gag out of it.

Please tell me you were kidding when you wrote that. That was pretty funny.