How to pass smog?

Kuestone

Apr 11, 2005
California
Hey how do you guys pass smog with like 500 horsepower cars? If you put the mid pipe back on are you ok? Or do you have to retune your car with lower injectors and things to pass sniffer test? California smog is strict.

Reason i ask is i blew engine I am gettin a longblock with ported heads and its a blower car and iam going for over 500 rwhp.

Also do new longblocks come with smog equipment? Or where is the smog equipment in the car? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

you reuse the smog equipment on the vehicle. you have to swap back the stock H pipe with all the cats to legally pass. also every aftermarket part must have an EO number that lists that part with that part number is approved for use on that vehicle with that engine. also if tuned right, a motor with a lot more power than 500 should pass tailpipe.

when i had my 90gt i had a guy in town that you could throw a couple of bucks to and he would pass it. Had no cats dumped at the mufflers front windows tinted really dark and the car was really low all things that would fail in the NJ state test. See if any garages around town can help you out.

I ask because Iam having a built longblock made and it has stage2 cams in it. No way the smoger will see it and if he hears them o well, but with cams I can have the tuner tune my car to pass the sniffer? yes?

they dont live in california.......

visual is the hardest part. a 500hp car (unless stock witht at much powah) more than likely has some sort of modification that is not legal, be it a blower/turbo or nitrous setup. if you have alot of power, are tuned correctly and still utilize your catalytics(well, when smog time comes at least) you will pass sniffer.

alot of buddies of mine with DSM's know of shops that, while not completely doing hookups, will stray from an underhood visual. but no matter their mods (Cams, big turbos, lots of fuel), they slap their cats back on, make sure its tuned right and warmed up, and pass with flying colors.