how to remove the t5 top cover.

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok so today we cleaned my t5 in the garage. I have never seen the inside of a tranny up close so i figure why not take the cover off.

We were probably going to do it anyway to fill it up with fluid later on.

so i unbolt the bolts and i break the seal so it HAS to come off now, but its stuck down.

I think maybe if i take the bellhousing off i can slide it forwards and get it off.
So i take the bellhousing off and it sort of moves forward, so i take a rubber mallet and tap it, it slides up but wont come off, its like connected to the shift bar or something.

How do i get it off??
it has to come of for sure now.
I tried to slide it back where it was and i cant get it back to the original position. its real close but i dont know what happened.

I hope i didnt break anything
any help appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

y can't u get it back into original position, keep tappin it around w/ the rubber hammer ...
Maybe use another peice of metal if you have to (hit the other metal into the cover w/ the hammer)
Paul Perreca

Foxfan88 said:
ok so today we cleaned my t5 in the garage. I have never seen the inside of a tranny up close so i figure why not take the cover off.

We were probably going to do it anyway to fill it up with fluid later on.

so i unbolt the bolts and i break the seal so it HAS to come off now, but its stuck down.

I think maybe if i take the bellhousing off i can slide it forwards and get it off.
So i take the bellhousing off and it sort of moves forward, so i take a rubber mallet and tap it, it slides up but wont come off, its like connected to the shift bar or something.

How do i get it off??
it has to come of for sure now.
I tried to slide it back where it was and i cant get it back to the original position. its real close but i dont know what happened.

I hope i didnt break anything
any help appreciated...
What the hell is wrong with you how are you gonna fill the tranny when its in the car through that? There are fill plugs and drain plugs on the side of the tranny. And the shift bar is called the shifter its one whole piece that bolts to the top of the tranny.

the bar/shaft inside, that has the socket for that ball on the shifter, and it runs through the tailshaft to the case
i was mostly trying to take it off for fun too look inside.

You have to remove your tail housing by banging out the roll pin that holds your shifter block.

Opps I forgot to mention that it slides off to the left. Dont pull up. Just push it over.

Tailhousing needs to come off first. Just be warned if you aren't comfortable digging into it you really shouldn't touch it.

To take off the tailhousing, drive the roll pin in the shifter block out by using a narrow punch and hammering it down.

WHen the pin pops out, you may or may not be able to retreive it. Don't worry if you can't/

Unbolt the tailhousing with a 15mm wrench. Together with the shifter block slide the tailhousing backwards off the shifter rail.

When it's clear, take out the shifter block, spring, ball and roll pin and set them aside.

To remove the top cover, unbolt it. Break the seal. Lift the cover up 1/2" and then shift the cover to the passenger side of the trans about 2" and then lift straight up. This clears the 5-R reverse lever.

You are now looking at the guts of your trans.

To reinstall, lower the top cover down offset to the pass side by about 2" try to line up the shift forks with the grooves in the synchros. Lower it down all the way and then shift the cover to the left and line it up to where it sits. Bolt the cover down. Make sure you put some RTV down after you practice lowering it a few times so you don't make a mess.

To reinstall the tailhousing, first place the spring inside the shifter block. Place the ball in the shifter gate inside the shifter housing and lower the block down onto the ball so the spring sits on it. Now, holding that in place, slide the tailhousing onto the shifter rail and try to lline up the hole in the shaft to the hole in the shifter block. Once you line it up, drive the roll pin back in and bolt the tailhousing up (use RTV again).

DOwnload the manual and have a read as well.

If you just want to see the inside of a T-5, here's some pics of my latest patient.

pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540668

pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540669

pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540676

View attachment 504426
pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=542001

Attachments

• pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540668
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540668
    114.5 KB · Views: 335
  • pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540669
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540669
    134.4 KB · Views: 260
  • pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540676
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540676
    110.1 KB · Views: 261
  • pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=542001
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=542001
    102.6 KB · Views: 431
aahh i just got back i got it before i got to read this, i looked at a guide on the net.

wast too hard. I got to keep the pin. But there isnt any gaskets or anything??
just use sealant when i reassemble???

Foxfan88 said:
aahh i just got back i got it before i got to read this, i looked at a guide on the net.

wast too hard. I got to keep the pin. But there isnt any gaskets or anything??
just use sealant when i reassemble???

Yep...sealant...black RTV is what I used on mine...

one more thing.....clean....clean....clean...

Did I say clean?!?!?

See http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/product.asp to download a FREE service manual for T5 or Tremec 3550
You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

See http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/ or http://www.ddperformance.com for parts

A T5 rebuild kit with syncros, bearings and other small parts costs about $160. It does not include any gears or shafts.

http://cartapes.com also has a video on how to rebuild your T5 or Tremec. It costs less than $20, and is worth every penny of it.

yeah we degreased and pressure washed the tranny, not spotless like that pic up there but its pretty clean, after i broke the seal tranny fluid leaked when i had it tipped on its side, so i will detail it before it goes in the car.