how to remove transmission

03s281sc

Mar 31, 2005
maryland
ok.. i have everything apart, sensors, d/s, clutch cable, cross member on the rear of tranny... all the bolts holding bellhousing to block out.. ( at least i think).. does it just slide out? im wiggling, pulling and its not coming out... did i miss something?

• Sponsors (?)

After doing this 3 times over now, I can probably pop a transmission off one of these cars in an hour(on a lift lol) so I will chime in here.

Not to insinuate that you're stupid or anything, but did you make sure that you took off the block plate bolts by the oil pan? Are the very top bellhousing bolts removed as well?(they look impossible to reach but if you canter the motor over backwards they become quite accessible albeit with some looong extensions.)

p1010052z.jpg

Is this tee first time the trans. is coming out? If so, sometimes they are plainly seized on there. My friends T-45 would simply refuse to budge until I "helped" it with a prybar. The input shaft sort of rusted onto the pilot bearing and really held that gearbox on there haha.

Dont be afraid to get a buddy down there with ya and yank away.

Hope this helps you somewhat!:nice:

Greenscobie86
Makes a really valid point sometimes they are just stubborn. If it makes it easier for your try unbolting the trans from the bell housing and removing that first without the bell housing attached its not as bulky. There should be four bolts holding the trans onto the bell housing. Once the trans is dissconnected from the bell housing those bolts Greenscobie86 was talking about that are on the top of the bell housing that seem impossible to reach are much more accessable. Also sometimes turning the output shaft of the trans a pulling out sometimes helps free up the splines a little.

Let me know how you make out and if this helped at all.

+1 on checking for all of the bolts. Remember to remove the starter!

If this is an Auto, don't forget the torque convertor bolts!! If it is forced, it will make one big mess when it actually does come apart. Not to mention, damage the pump.

Also try spraying some penetrating oil on the two alignment dowels (10 and 2 o’clock). Let soak. The dowels are steel and rust into the block. One of the dowels is visible in the pictures.

While waiting for it to soak, double check that the engine and transmission are supported in a line. If the engine/transmission is allowed to sag, then the weight will bind on the transmission input shaft making separation more difficult (damage possible).

Support the rear of the engine (block of word on the oil pan). Make sure the transmission is supported and level.

IMO, careful use of a pry bar is advised. It is easier than you think to break the aluminum bell housing. Use your hands to wiggle the transmission back/forth/up/down. Do not hang on it. It may take some force to separate but take is slow as it is possible to damage some real expensive parts.

Good luck.

it just took 20 more minutes or cursing, wiggling and pulling and it came off... and two big screwdrivers.. the new one is in just waiting on the driveshaft that may possibly be lost in the mail...