Engine How To Replace Heater Water Supply Tube Assembly - '88 Lx - 5.0

Spyky3

Sep 26, 2012
The top tube of the back end of this heater assembly is corroded, need to replace. How do you remove the front portion (~1 inch) that is screw into intake manifold? Do you take out the intake manifold to unscrew this tube assembly? -Thxs!
assembly.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The tube is hiding the fact that there's a nut/fitting at the bottom of the 6-sided fitting, which screws into the intake. You don't have to remove the lower intake to get thing off, but you do need a big-ass wrench. I think it's 1-inch or 1-1/8.

Reactions: 1 user
While we are on the topic of this tube, how did you guys block the small coolant port where the coolant goes to the throttle body? Mine is unhooked and plugged with a rubber vacuum cap but they rot fast and I have replaced it like 3 times. I'm about to weld it shut.

While we are on the topic of this tube, how did you guys block the small coolant port where the coolant goes to the throttle body? Mine is unhooked and plugged with a rubber vacuum cap but they rot fast and I have replaced it like 3 times. I'm about to weld it shut.
i've been told here that that is not a good idea and does nothing for performance. my car had it done on purchase and it was part of the actual hose that fits there cut to allow room for a bolt to go inside and a hose clamp to hold it.

Thats what i did for years with my cobra intake, ran a big ass bolt in the hose and clamped it with a hose clamp. A buddy of mine had a local guy weld his over and grind it smooth, coat of high temp and it looked stock.
And as far as the coolant flowing though the EGR being a good idea, at some point even Ford decided that it wasn't necessary, no fittings for it on the cobra intake. Just something you can do to clean things up a little.

Did you remove the brass barb and use a solid brass plug to replace it on your maniofold? It was where the back side of the spacer connected to and it is supposed to be in the back passenger corner of the manifold. A bypass hose for the gone egr/throttle plate would have been simple and slick. If you eliminated the other fitting, I am sorry. Just vac caps stink for this purpose and like to leak. An ugly bolt in a chunk of hose with a couple of clamps would work better than a vac cap.