How to store Built 306 for long time

• Sponsors (?)

With my 302 short block I just put it on an engine stand and sprayed almost a whole can of WD-40 all over her till she was dripping like crazy. Then I wrapped her up nice and tight with a crapload of renalds wrap.

I'm not sure if I did the right thing myself but I did it anyways. Good luck to you.

I would put it on an engine stand and wrap it up real good.

I would also pull the pushrods so that all the valves are closed just to prevent anything from getting into the cylinders and would put dessicant plugs in place of the spark plugs to prevent any moisture build up in the cylinders.

Mustang5L5 said:
Is it together?

Fill it up with oil and bag it

There ya go. FILL it with oil...untill it won't take anymore, then get some really strong lawn bags and bag it up with a couple bags. Either heave headers on it or duct tape the exhaust ports with a few layers before you bag it up.

DO NOT forget to change the oil before you try to start it :lol:

Brett88lx said:
With my 302 short block I just put it on an engine stand and sprayed almost a whole can of WD-40 all over her till she was dripping like crazy. Then I wrapped her up nice and tight with a crapload of renalds wrap.

I'm not sure if I did the right thing myself but I did it anyways. Good luck to you.

WD-40 makes my stuff rust really bad after it dries.

hrmm.. I honestly don't know if it should be sealed up completely, because I'd still want it to breathe incase you got some moisture trapped in there when you seal the bag up (which you will)

woah. If the heads are already torqued down, leave them on. If they are not torqued down, than take them off and wipe down the cylinder walls with a thin coat of oil to reduce rust buildup. After ALL of the metal bare surfaces are coated with a thin coat of oil, cover it with a blanket or wrap it in saran wrap to keep debris from getting in the motor. There is no reason to keep it in a air tight condition. The only thing I would worry about is dirt getting in the motor which is why it should be covered well using a moving blanket with bungee cords going around it which would be my choice. My father had his shortblock sit on a stand for 2 years with a moving blanket over the top and the motor fired up with no problems. A quick oil change after startup will cleanse the system of moisture and any small debris.

I actually kepy a shortblock on a stand wide open for about a year with NOTHING On it. All i did was spray it with WD-40 every now and then.

Then one day we cleaned it up, oiled it up, slapped it together and threw it in a Mustang and fired it up