How'd you learn to work on cars?

MrGame

Nov 8, 2006
^^^ I'm trying to learn; I hung out with one of the guys at my job the other day when he put a front mount intercooler on his eclipse. I just try to be around people working on cars whenever so I can get an idea of how they come apart and go back together.

• Sponsors (?)

When I was 16 I just decided to spend a day with my car learning how to do things to it. At first I had my friends do things to my car for me and I watched so I learned a little that way. But when I decided to go outside for almost a full day and take things apart, look at how things went together and such I got a better understannding.

I was able to do small mods myself after a bit. It wasn't until I bought a base model Eagle Talon and pieced together a turbo kit for it and did a complete overhaul of that car that I finally felt I had "graduated" and since then I have been doing all my own work.

My dad and uncles were big street racers back in the muscle car days and my one uncle was on a racing team that raced alcohol funny cars. He worked as a tech and also worked in the Pit of the funny car. I pretty much watched them alot and I read as much info as I could from various Mustang sites. You tend to learn what works and what doesnt when you are on 10+ Mustang websites ranging from MPH, Modular Fords, Modular Depot, MW, and others.

well i learned to work on cars from my dad working on his 66 corvette stingray. But i learned to work on the 4.6 2v from you guys here on :SNSign:

Ive also learned to work on dirtbikes and other types of motorized vehicles. Our family is big into all forms of racing.

I had a messed up experience with a dealership one time and told myself that I would never take my car to a dealership again ... Well, unless it's for something that is not very practical to do at home.

The way I learned? Each time something broke, I looked up in either a Haynes (not that great but better than nothing) and then I started using the Ford Service CD's and just get to working. The good thing is that you get to learn how to fix your car and it gives you a since of pride (or at least it does me) ... the only crappy thing is that it always takes twice as long the first time you do something new (for me). I actually like to work on my car now! Saves tons of money ... but it takes time.

My grandfather had gotten me into the whole tinkering thing when I was like 8. I had a go-kart that I would mess with, and he had an infinite supply of crap that I could take apart, and weld on, and that sort of thing. When it wasn't my go-kart I was messing with, it was my 64 Galaxie 500 (which I still have), or the quad. I miss those days.

I realized later that, anyone in the world can read a Haynes or Chilton's manual, and can fix some problems on a car. It's just like reading the instruction sheets that come with Lego's to make something. To be able to call yourself a Mechanic, you need to know how to pull your ass out of something you messed up. That, and you need to know how to use certain exotic tools in the right way.

I have been wrenching on cars since I was little kid helping my dad restore his classic mustangs, thats where I learned my basic knowledge. After highschool I got into the ford asset program, been working at a lincoln mercury dealership as a tech ever since.

My dad tought me just about everything I know when it comes to working around cars...and that general and specific knowledge really boosted my common sense so I can now figure out what to do even if I have never done that paticular thing before.
I always helped my dad on stuff as a kid...but where I really started learning was when I bought my 66. We have done EVERYTHING ourselves and he tought me a great deal via it.
It also brought me and my dad very close...and I love him greatly. I couldnt imagine not having him around.....My dad FTW!!!!

When I was 16, my first car was an 89 camaro RS. It had a blown engine and tranni when I got it. My step dad and I put a new engine and tranni in. It was a weak-ass 2.8 v6, and then later we changed it for a 305, which was also crap. Also, the car broke down probably....once every 2 weeks. I was always working on it just to keep it running. That's how I learned.