howling

clrgt

Aug 1, 2009
missouri
i was driving down the hwy yesterday and my front end started making a howling noise it got so loud that it was drowning out my exhuast. what would cause the front to howl? and steering was fine and no play or pulling.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah most likely a wheel bearing and if it is that loud you need to repair before driving the car any more.

Good news its an easy fix if it is wheel bearing but you will need a 36mm socket and you will need to generate 258 ft/lbs of force to torque the fastener properly.

Last time I did it:
-hub bearing assembly: $75
-hub bearing retainer nut: $13 (not re-useable get a new one)
-dust cap: $7

Good luck take your time this is an easy one. Check your tire if it is howling that loud your tire probably is ruined also from cupping or uneven wear.

No need to align after performing the repair.

To determine for sure if it is wheel bearing lift the car and check the bearing for play, there should be ZERO play.

To elaborate what Kilgore said as far as the movement.

Top to bottom movement usually indicates a wheel bearing/hub or a ball joint. Side to side movement usually means a tie rod (inner or outer). The only two hubs on an sn I've seen that went out both made a ticking noise when turned slowly (would explain the howling you stated).

Another way to test is to spin both front wheels while the car is jacked up. if one the bad side in question seems to not to want to spin as freely as the other then its likely the hub.