Hurst or Steeda

• Sponsors (?)

I guess I am stupid. I listen to the reviews of reputable sources. Did you hear that there were aliens in Roswell NM. Me either, the man must have posted that also.

I hope that whatever you bought makes you happy.

I love seeing all of the facts.

I saw that article. The guy with the MGW on his car had the shift knob on backwards and several drivers commented on how the shifter felt weird. I guess it didn't win with a backward mounted knob. It was MGW's concept knob which really needs to be installed correctly do to it's design.

I have the Hurst and have used the MGW. I like both and would probably give the MGW the nod as it is more of a smoother shift where as the Hurst is more of a notchy shift. I like the notchy feeling but most people do not.

I had a slight rattle with the Hurst after about 3,000 miles that turned out to be loose bolts. Not a big deal. I just put thread locker on them and threaded them back in and haven't had problems since.

The article that I am talking about takes a bunch of different cars that are owned by the writers. Everything from stock to supercharged. I think that between the major publications (5.0, MMFF, and Modified Mustangs) we can rely on their info. The internet is a great source of info, but could be sided. The writers in these major mags are very respected among the mustang crowd. Joe DaSailva (modified mustangs and fast fords), Ken Miele (muscle mustangs and fast fords), and KJ Jones (5.0) are all respectable members of the mustang community. I take their opinions seriously. The publishers of these magazines take some time and consideration when they hire a technical writer.

Whatever...I owned the Hurst for two weeks before I pulled it, sold it, and installed the MGW. I guess aliens made me do it.

If I would have listened to those on this forum that have tried both and have personal experience it would have saved me some time and money. Go back and read the review again...they liked the MGW shifter, the review was just biased in favor of the other shifters by the way the magazine wrote it up.

There's a big difference in quality but that's just my personal unbiased opinion after having both installed in my car.

I have the MGW concept knob like the one in the article and I just went out there and turned it around backwards like the idiot had it in the article. It feels terrible like that. In fact, it felt downright strange. You'd think that some of the so called stang experts from the magazine would have noticed that. The rags are full of BS. My car was featured in MM&FF in a nine page spread and I counted 9 mistakes in the article which was written by the editor. This was after I filled out a tech card for the A-Hole. He tried to make the article sound a certain way for good reading rather than stating facts. It happens all the time.

I have the MGW concept knob like the one in the article and I just went out there and turned it around backwards like the idiot had it in the article. It feels terrible like that. In fact, it felt downright strange. You'd think that some of the so called stang experts from the magazine would have noticed that. The rags are full of BS. My car was featured in MM&FF in a nine page spread and I counted 9 mistakes in the article which was written by the editor. This was after I filled out a tech card for the A-Hole. He tried to make the article sound a certain way for good reading rather than stating facts. It happens all the time.

Good facts. :nice:

Isn't the Roush shifter essentially the Hurst relabeled?

I doubt it. I've shifted the Roush shifter in a 427R (while parked) and it felt much better than the Hurst. It has a billet stick that seems a little tall, but it felt GREAT. Notchy, but very direct and short. The shifting linkage is also billet. This shifter is not cheap, as they sell it in 3 parts: shifter, stick and ball. Just over $400 on their website. Any big name Mustang developer (Steeda, Saleen, Roush) will develop their own components to work the way they want on their cars.

Personally, I think I would get this Roush first, the Hurst 2nd, and the MGW third. I've driven Honda's with short throw shifters...and while incredibly smooth, they are somewhat boring. To me, the MGW shifter would be like driving a Honda (shifting-wise).

If Shelby puts Hurst on all his cars, they probably don't suck as bad as people say they do. I'm sure he can put whatever he wants on his cars...and he didn't pick MGW.

Bottom line is, not everybody shifts at WOT. So if you're just driving the car quickly and having fun, ANY shifter will work, and would be better than stock.

I doubt it. I've shifted the Roush shifter in a 427R (while parked) and it felt much better than the Hurst. It has a billet stick that seems a little tall, but it felt GREAT. Notchy, but very direct and short. The shifting linkage is also billet. This shifter is not cheap, as they sell it in 3 parts: shifter, stick and ball. Just over $400 on their website. Any big name Mustang developer (Steeda, Saleen, Roush) will develop their own components to work the way they want on their cars.

Personally, I think I would get this Roush first, the Hurst 2nd, and the MGW third. I've driven Honda's with short throw shifters...and while incredibly smooth, they are somewhat boring. To me, the MGW shifter would be like driving a Honda (shifting-wise).

If Shelby puts Hurst on all his cars, they probably don't suck as bad as people say they do. I'm sure he can put whatever he wants on his cars...and he didn't pick MGW.

Bottom line is, not everybody shifts at WOT. So if you're just driving the car quickly and having fun, ANY shifter will work, and would be better than stock.

Hurst makes a billet shifter now, too. Roush actually subs out a lot of parts to other companies. Roush doesn't even make their superchargers for most cars. Just curious, have you drove a car with a MGW shifter? Don't take that the wrong way, either. I'm genuinely curious. A lot of guys talk down anything they don't have which doesn't seem to be the case with you though. Everyone has their opinions and in the end it's every individuals choice because you're the one who has to shift the damn thing every day.

That's not entirely true. I found that the notchy feel of the Hurst combined with its weak center return spring actually made it more difficult to hit third gear than with the stock factory shifter. I've also read other reviews on this forum that have confirmed my observations so it's not "just me".

I also doubt that the MGW on any Mustang could possibly be like driving a Honda of any kind due to the Tremec synchros and remote shifter design of the 05+ Mustang. Regardless of how smooth the MGW is it can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and the Mustang has one rough pig of a driveline and tranny. It's a fun to drive pig though so I tolerate it...and the MGW makes it a little more tolerable! :rlaugh:

Carrol Shelby doesn't pick anything for his cars anymore. It's all about making money. His Shelby GT has a hood that weighs 3 times what the stock hood weighs. What's the advantage of that? Shelby cars used to have functional scoops and never had a thing installed for looks. It was all about performance, but not anymore. Shelby didn't ''pick'' MGW because it wasn't even available at the time and MGW does not allow any middle man when it comes to sales. You can only get their shifter directly from MGW and it's the ONLY shifter that works correctly on my 500 rwhp stang. This is my 3rd shifter and the last too. I recently pulled a Hurst shifter off of my friend's '05 and replaced it with an MGW. He couldn't believe the difference.

I have not driven a Mustang with anything but a stock shifter. I have only shifted other setups while parked. I know the experience would be totally different if I drove the other setups.

The Honda's that I have owned all had a long shifter linkage like the S197 has (actually longer than the S197). My 1995 Mustang GT had the shifter going right into the transmission (T5?).

With any Honda, the shifters are incredibly smooth. When someone talks about the MGW being "so smooth," I can only compare that comment to what I consider smooth. My 1999 Civic Si had a billet aftermarket short throw in it. It was still incredibly smooth (you could shift it with 2 fingers), but also very short.

I can recall only 1 time when I tried to reach 3rd gear near redline and the shifter didn't find the gate. Very unusual sensation to say the least...LOL. Since then, I just make a very conscious effort to think about the clutch and shifting into 3rd if I'm shifting at such a high rpm.

I would say that for everyday driving, the stock shifter is more than acceptable to me. It's light years ahead of the stock shifter from my 95 GT in terms of smoothness.