Hurst S/T not sure how I like it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric3D

Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta, ga
First thanks to all of you regular posters here. This forum is great and you guys and post regular help so many of us out. I have been reading for weeks now.

I finally purchased a 06 tungsten GT with 7K on it and am working though mods right now. I put in a Hurst shifter a few weeks ago and like the throw and look but damn that think is rough and loud. I thought it may grow on me but I am still not all that happy with how rough it feels. Any thoughts? I have been reading the Steeda higher end version is smoother but I have not seen one yet.

I don't mind the cost, I would just like to find a S/T shifter that was a bit smoother in operation than the Hurst I have now. Any advice is appreciated!

Eric

• Sponsors (?)

The MGW is much smoother than the Hurst, though the Hurst will break in a bit. I have the Hurst in both of ours and love it. But I was actually wanting the notchy feeling of the Hurst. If that's not something you're looking for, you want the MGW shifter.

Steeda owner here:
To get rid of some of the noise, I had some old dynamat laying around and layered it up in the tunnel. That was a big complaint of mine from the beginning. I put down 3 layers of the stuff and it seems to have quieted it up a bit.

I've shifted both, the Steeda has a more positive feel in my opinion. It is just a heavier duty shifter much like the pro 5.0, never shifted the mgw.

I agree on the feel I guess. My dad has a 68 fastback and the 4sp top loader does feel very similar. The throw on the top loader in the 68 feels like you are driving a grain truck though.

I had a pro 5.0 in my 96 cobra and it just seemed smoother. The Hurst just seems a bit rougher than it needs to be. One other issue is the black rubber grommet included with mine was pretty deformed. I left a few messages with Hurst Customer Service to see if they could send out a new one and I have not had 1 reply back. I guess Customer Service is not that high on their importance list lol.

Thanks guys,

Eric

You could purchase a Bullitt shifter boot. It's real leather and has a nice metal surround. It fits the Hurst shaft perfectly without a grommet. If you don't hear back from them in a few days, let me know. I know someone involved with B&M.

The MGW is much smoother than the Hurst, though the Hurst will break in a bit. I have the Hurst in both of ours and love it. But I was actually wanting the notchy feeling of the Hurst. If that's not something you're looking for, you want the MGW shifter.

I agree. I've got the Hurst in my 65 and I like the feel of it in that car. It's nostalgic. But in my 2008, I wanted something smooth, firm, and had a positive feel so I went with the MGW and couldn't be happier.

I've been thinking about how bad the stock shifter is. It's decent for everyday driving, but it's a sloppy feel for drag racing.

I tend to miss either the 2-3 or the 3-4 shift. Some if it has to do with my clutch, because the clutch I have engages right off the floor, so I have to learn not to let it out AT ALL during the shift until my gear selector is completely in the next gear. It makes it seem like I am wasting time with all of that waiting though.

how hard are they to install, and what is a good price for one?

The Hurst Shifter is ok for most driving. It has a tendency of getting loud (read transmitting rattle) once you accelerate hard past 4K RPM when engine torque kicks in.

Could be smoother but the throw is so short it makes up for how notchy it feels.

Yes the entire point of the Hurst is for notchy, short, quick throws. After about 3 months of good use it will smooth out a bit. Making slams from gear to gear easier.

My S2000 buddy tested mine out and was like, "wow, this makes my S2000s shifter feel like a CIVIC! I love it!"

And S2000s have really nice shifters, heh.

Also, mine doesn't rattle or make any odd noises. I didn't install though, Shelby did, heh.

I've been thinking about how bad the stock shifter is. It's decent for everyday driving, but it's a sloppy feel for drag racing.

I tend to miss either the 2-3 or the 3-4 shift. Some if it has to do with my clutch, because the clutch I have engages right off the floor, so I have to learn not to let it out AT ALL during the shift until my gear selector is completely in the next gear. It makes it seem like I am wasting time with all of that waiting though.

how hard are they to install, and what is a good price for one?

Actually, that has little to do with what shifter you have, and a lot to do with the location of the shifter. The remote mount of the shifter makes drivetrain flex cause issues with shifting at high RPMs. The tranny tilts, making the shifter hard to put into gear. The CHE K Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters solves this. Stiffer motor mounts help, too. With the CHE piece, the tranny is kept more solidly in position, so when you try to shift at high RPMs, the tranny stays in place and the shift drops right in.

This is the ONLY shifter with all of the bugs worked out in the design.>http://mgwltd.com/mustang2005_shifter.shtml

I've removed several Hurst shifters on '05-up stangs for people and replaced them with the MGW units. Everyone was amazed at the performance. I've driven new stangs with every shifter available except the new Billet Hurst (which is no different than Pro50 and Steeda) and I also haven't tried a B&M shifter. None of them even comes close to the performance of MGW, period. That's my professional opinion. I replaced my $280 Triax with an MGW unit and couldn't be happier. It took the installation of this shifter for me to be able to speed shift my '05 at almost 500 rwhp.

I've used hurst for over 30 years and still am, It feels as good in my 07 as it did in my 67, clean crisp notchey throws. I'm not slicing butter, I'm shifting a muscle car and want it to feel and sound that way. However, I am ordering the new billet hurst shifter as it looks a bit more sturdy for the long haul. A smooth shifter, you youngsters are spoiled, next you'll want quiet squeeling tires or something hee hee.

I've used hurst for over 30 years and still am, It feels as good in my 07 as it did in my 67, clean crisp notchey throws. I'm not slicing butter, I'm shifting a muscle car and want it to feel and sound that way. However, I am ordering the new billet hurst shifter as it looks a bit more sturdy for the long haul. A smooth shifter, you youngsters are spoiled, next you'll want quiet squeeling tires or something hee hee.

That's how I feel. If I wanted smooth shifts, I would've bought something European. I want to feel what gear I'm going into.

Bravo !

This is what I was talking about.

Well, I'm no ''youngster''. Talk is cheap and so is the stamped steel Hurst shifter. If I wanted my MGW to be loud, I'd just remove the sound deadening material that came with it. That Hurst is nothing more than an OEM stamping with a shorter throw and poly bushings. The new billet version is a step up, but jut like the Pro50 and Steeda triax it's got a huge flaw...it mounts solid to the tranny and the car's body which is ridiculous especially with higher hp applications when the tranny torques hard and causes the SOB to bind and miss shifts. MGW is the only shifter that addresses this problem. The design allows some flex through torsion mounts at either end while retaining a solid, rigid feel. It couldn't be made of better materials and it's fully adjustable. What more could you want?

Show me one person that removed an MGW shifter for another brand. It ain't happening. As a 25 year tech and fabricator, I salute MGW for this design.:flag:

The fact that I can shift at 6500rpm's without letting off the throttle at all and still make a clean shift is what I call ''spoiled''. Again, talk is cheap...these are real world facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.