Hurst Shifter..."Notchamatic"

• Sponsors (?)

Well back in the 5.0 days everyone knew Hurst was good but cheap. Back then The Power Tower owned the market and for good reason it was by far the best. So I just picked up today from Steed the Tri Axe, I would go with the Pro 5.0 but I live near Steeda, but they wanted 160 to put it in, so I'm going to find a shop here in lauderdale to do it. My dealer is not qualified to change my oil let alone a shifter, lol.

Would you buy a cheap matress considering you spend 1/3 your life on it? Then why buy a cheap shifter in which it's 1/4 of the driving experience??

Dump the Hurst and avoid MGW Steeda has about 5 years leadtime and experience with our new cars. IMHO.

I'll report back when it's in.

Hurst is hardly cheap and its been around longer than the guys from Steeda have been alive. Now, steeda makes good products but to imply the hurst unit is not a nice piece is just rediculous

If you pick up both shifters and just look at them you'll see how cheap the Hurst really is. Hurt is notorious for rattles, especially in 3rd gear, and extra 100 bucks for something so vital is money well spent imho. I should have mine in saturday, I'll report back.

Sure, the Steeda piece is a nicer constructed unit overall, but I have no problems with rattles since they made updates to the shifter and the Steeda piece has been notiously difficult to shift . Many people in other forums have reported that..basically , it comes down to what you want.

+ 1 on the Hurst. A quality shifter at a reasonable price and never a third gear miss. Everybody, on almost everything, loves what they own so...........

My shifter was notchy enough that I couldn't get it into 3rd a couple times when the car was under load at the track my times suffered for it. That was when the shifter was brand new though.

I will see how it performs when the track opens up, and I am also installing some CHE torque limiters and see how that feels.

They reduce the long throw of the factory shifters and they allow more close and precise shifts allowing quicker gear changes.

I'm all for upgrading shifters for a more positive feel...better looks...strength...etc, however...:rolleyes:

I'm not so sold on the whole, "shorter throw equals quicker shifts" argument, however.
Maybe when comparing a Steeda or Hurst to a stock shifter in a 1973 Chevy C-10, but on an s197? The factory shifter's like, 5 inches long! And I don't know about everyone's shifting ability, but I can shift from 1-2, 2-3, or 3-4 etc. in a blink of an eye. Definitely faster than my foot can travel the throw of the clutch anyway, so does the marginally shorter throw distance in an upgraded shifter even matter in the real world?
just my .02!
-gambi06

I'm all for upgrading shifters for a more positive feel...better looks...strength...etc, however...:rolleyes:

I'm not so sold on the whole, "shorter throw equals quicker shifts" argument, however.
Maybe when comparing a Steeda or Hurst to a stock shifter in a 1973 Chevy C-10, but on an s197? The factory shifter's like, 5 inches long! And I don't know about everyone's shifting ability, but I can shift from 1-2, 2-3, or 3-4 etc. in a blink of an eye. Definitely faster than my foot can travel the throw of the clutch anyway, so does the marginally shorter throw distance in an upgraded shifter even matter in the real world?
just my .02!
-gambi06

I don't have a problem powershifitng with the stock shifters on the s-197 or on the older cars.. BUT the after market shifters are way more accurate on the 2nd to 3rd upshift, they don't have that vague feeling the stocker does.

:notnice: Ok, I installed the Hurst shifter about a month ago, and I have to say, I love the looks, but after a month of driving it, I hate the performance! Shifts are extremely notchy..not smooth at all. Each gear goes in with a big "Kachunck". It's not the transmission, because it shifted just fine before the install. I changed the tranny fluid to Royal Purple to see if that would maybe make a difference, but it's still the same. Anybody else think this shifter is overrated? I'm thinking of going to a different shifter...any recommendations?

I have a triax. It has the kerchunk shift too but I like that. It will be the nature of the beast I think with any short shifter with this tranny.

just my .02!
-gambi06

When I powershift, I barely touch the clutch. Just slap the shifter in the right direction and don't lift the gas pedal, barely tapping the clutch. Aftermarket shifters make this feel a lot better, even though I can do it with no problems on the stock stuff.