Hurst shifter problem

Big Show 96

Oct 26, 2008
Louisiana
I just purchased a used hurst shifter & it will not adjust properly. I only have 2nd,4th, & reverse. 1st,3rd, & 5th just grind & won't engage. I adjusted the stops every which direction I could think of, but no luck. Anyone else have this problem? The trans shifts perfect with the stock set up.

• Sponsors (?)

you adjusted the stops to have maximum play and it STILL won't go into gear?
hmm...i don't have any experience with shifters.
Maybe it has something to do with the bearing? is the bearing in the tranny below the shifter installed properly?

If you hold the shifter in your hand out of the trans, it moves in full range forward & backwards about a 1/8" from the stops. When you install it into the trans it will not move all the way forward, it stops about 1/4-1/2" from the stop. When I try to put into 1st,3rd,or5th the shifter seems to bind alittle but shifts 2nd,4th,&reverse with ease going 1/8 to the stop.

are u sure it is for ur trans T5 T45 3650 3550 etc.

Sounds like it may not be.

IF I remember correctly, a 3650 shifter will physically bolt up to a T-45 tranny but not work anywhere near right. I think I remember reading that on here, but if I am wrong someone PLEASE correct me.

Another thing... there should be a plastic cup that is either attached to the base of your old shifter when it comes out, or still attached to the transmission where your old shifter sat. Make sure it is still in place, wherever it is and that it did not get lost or moved out of place.

Don't know what else to tell you because there isn't really anything to physically stop the shifter from moving especially if it works fine when before it is installed.

are u sure it is for ur trans T5 T45 3650 3550 etc.

Sounds like it may not be.

IF I remember correctly, a 3650 shifter will physically bolt up to a T-45 tranny but not work anywhere near right. I think I remember reading that on here, but if I am wrong someone PLEASE correct me.

Another thing... there should be a plastic cup that is either attached to the base of your old shifter when it comes out, or still attached to the transmission where your old shifter sat. Make sure it is still in place, wherever it is and that it did not get lost or moved out of place.

Don't know what else to tell you because there isn't really anything to physically stop the shifter from moving especially if it works fine when before it is installed.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure if it's a shifter for a T-5/45. It may be for a 3650. The guy I bought it from has a salvage yard & had a couple of T-45's & 3650's sitting around. He pulled the shifter out of his tool box drawer.The plastic cup is in place & the depth & lenght of the shifter is the same as the stock one. :shrug:

No idea man, that is odd though.

If you get a chance, maybe you can go back to where you got the shifter and take a look at the trans. that it came from.

The T-45's have the fill AND drain plugs on the right side of the transmission. The 3650's should have the drain plug on the bottom if I am not mistaken.

I was going to ask about the plastic cup, its important. I would try reusing the one from your stock shifter or at least make sure they are the same piece. Also, make sure you back the shift stop screws out all the way, take them out if you have to. If it just wont go into gear no mater what then it must not be the right shifter for your trans.