HVLP Gun

Mustang Jim

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2001
New Jersey
So, I'm ready to paint my car again. It's a 64 1/2 coupe. I am looking to replace my old spray gun with an HVLP gun. I plan on shooting a single stage urethane.... hmm... maybe a bc/cc. What do you guys recommend on the gun? I was looking at guns from eastwood? What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

Agree to go over to hotrodders for advice and info!
I used a harbor freight "purple" gun for the epoxy and high build and it had a 1.7 tip
I bought a Finex 3000 for the base coat and clear coat and it performed really well once it was dialed in. It had a 1.3 tip. It was also under $100 and is well made.
I am not sure I could have noticed or appreciated a more expensive gun since it was my first BC/CC job.
Here is info on when we painted our car ourselves
Painting it ourselves
Paint
Paint Booth

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

Thanks everyone. I've been looking at the DeVilbiss line and they seem like they would do the job. I painted the car a year back (bc/cc) with my 25 year old Sharpe gun, but I ended up with orange peel on the clear coat. I buffed it as best as I coule, but I could not get rid of all the orange peel. In fact, I burned through the clear coat on the trunk lid in one spot. So, I figure I will give it another try being more careful on the gun settings and also using an HVLP gun.

Also, has anyone used the single stage Eastwood paints? The price is right at $120 per gallon (including activator). I hate the thought of spending another $500 for the DuPont bc/cc.

Jim