hydraulic clutch conversion for 86 5.0

crutch

Mar 7, 2008
Hey all, I'm new to StangNet and just wanted to see who's using/where to get a hydraulic clutch conversion kit for my four eyed 5.0. The clutch that was installed by the previous onwer is really aggressive (I love it) and the pedal takes about 35-40lbs of force to push. This is by far the hardest clutch I've ever felt, and I work for Dodge and have seen my fair share of stiff clutches on farm trucks! Now I may sound like a wimp crying about my clutch....let me tell ya why. I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident about 5 years ago and broke both legs in 17 places (ouch). In September I had my 9th corrective surgery which involved re-breaking my left leg and putting on an external fixator (like a halo for the head). So they took it off three weeks ago and I can FINALLY drive my Fox again. But I'm still rebuilding bone and pushing that clutch is KILLING me. So I figured I could do the swap and have a clutch that was nice to drive and keep in in the drivers seat of the Fox...instead of having one of my buddies drive me around in it :notnice:. Any help would be great....thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know of any conversion kits offhand, but your clutch very well may be the old school FRPP HD clutch, its what I have, and is notorious for being heavy on the pedal load. It is a bear to push in, don't feel bad. That being said, check out some of the other stock replacement type designs out there, like the "King Cobra" clutch by FRPP, its supposed to have the same holding power as the HD, but less pedal effort. Happy hunting.

Changing the clutch isn't really an option right now....I have the service records and the clutch is only about 6,000 miles old (so is the trans!! one of the reasons for the purchase) plus I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than a milk jug. and being a service tech by trade the thought of someone else changing my clutch would keep me up at night lol....OH ALSO....I'm looking for a cargo cover for my 86. I've done the research and I know that the 86 cargo cover is in a league of its own due to seat belt changes. Color isn't important, just needs to roll in and out like it's supposed to. My car has the mounts in it already

Got it!!

Ok well the weather warmed up around here and I was able to get under the car....and low and behold....the clutch cable needed to be lubed and moved:stupid: ...was bound up. I wish my legs were better so I could get this stuff done. It's KILLIN me. But as for the conversion kit I found one...almost $600!!!! Is anyone is intrested I'll get all the info, but for now my cable (new BBK now) is GREAT. Thanks for the help

Yep I've wondered this as well. Maybe the late model mustangs are hydraulic IDK! But yeah after sitting in stop and go traffic for a few hours I start second guessing my decison on a 5 speed. But i guess its worth it. Just hope u don't have to walk a mile after driving one of these beasts:D

GUESS WHAT!

the turbocoupe set up is a good start.....but the push/pull thing is the issue, but lucky for me my friend owns a machine shop and we're working on something to fix that....almost have it too.... the idea is to build one that uses off the shelf parts (cause when your car breaks on saturday night I wanna have new parts on sunday!!) but you guys will be the third to know (the machinist and I will be the first )but the other goal it to keep the cost low so you won't have to sell an organ to buy it lol!!!

JMC motorsports makes a kit for classic Mustangs with the T-5. It may work ont he fox with some tweaking. I beleive the TC pedal assembly and MC is the correct size so you may be able to use it + The JMC slave cylinder

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0702_ford_mustang_clutches/hydraulic_brakes.html

mump_0702_23z+ford_mustang+clutch_service.jpg

Ok so here's an update.....we've been working on it SLOWLY (my leg has been giving me fits so I lay in bed and dream about driving my fox) but we're working on a bell crank set up so that the master cylinder will be on the firewall. As you probably know the bell crank will take the pull motion and turn it into a push motion. The bracket will be a one off deal.....but shouldn't be to hard to make. Gotta make it strong enough to put up with the autocrossing one of my buddys does (he let me borrow a pedal tree for moc-up on the bench in exchange for making him a kit and using his car as the "test dummy") so I'll keep milling and drilling and welding and cursing till I get it!!! :banana:

Leak? what's that? My fox doesn't leak...swear to God!!! Not a DANM thing at all. Maybe it's because I worked for Dodge and I HATE leaks....hate squueks and ratlles more....and my fox doesn't have those either....yeah I know you're al mother ****in' me right now lol....but I'd honestly I'd gladly help any of your for some lunch and some cold beer.....we have a 2-post rack.....let me know we're a friendly bunch. ALSO I need to restore one of the reflectors on my pass side Marchal fog light....and ideas? anyone got one that isn's yellow? Let me know guys...thanks....happy motoring

Hi there. I have been involved in a few-peoples-worth of automotive accidents, totaling my '70, totaling my 1966, totaling my 1991 the first 1/4 mile I drove it after working on it for 3 years, rear ended so hard at a stop light I blacked out, well my back is destroyed and all my cars, so I tried to do EXACTLY what you are wanting and I figured it out.... having a hydraulic clutch in a fox mustang using FORD FACTORY PARTS... I figured that they did R&D on these parts... also a benefit: the early fox mustangs used a 10" clutch, then 10.5" clutch but my hydraulic solution uses an 11" clutch, so not only do you use the hydraulic action to actuate the clutch, you can use a less-agressive material/configuration and get more grip: remember that even though 10.5" to 11" does not sound like a lot, the farther you move from the center of a circle you get a jump in surface area that compounds in area...anyways take a look at my findings, sorry its not organized:

Mustang Auto to Manual Transmission Swap Hydraulic Clutch T5

and the finished product;

Factory Clutch Parts 11" hydraulic clutch of 5.0 Mustang using stock Ford Parts