Hydraulic fan

• Sponsors (?)

Valeo says HDFS frees up vehicle designers because it allows the radiator and fan to be placed anywhere in the vehicle - behind the back seat or under the floor pan, because the system has an air-moving power that is 20 to 30 times that of an electric fan. With traditional cooling, the grille, radiator and fan are clustered in front to allow natural air flow to keep the radiator cool.

Quoted an article that I found.

I like the concept of being able to relocate the radiator to wherever, but I'm still having a hard time grasping how this hydraulic method of powering the fan works, exactly. Are we talking hydraulic in the same sense as, say, Hydroboost brakes (whereby, in this case, it would utilize the very antifreeze for power that it's also responsible for cooling)? ... or more along the lines of the type of oil-filled hydraulics used in, like, floor jacks and forklifts and such? Neat-o, but confusing.

Anyone got a pic of the actual cooling assembly, itself? Pics of engine bays on modern cars just look like a featureless landscape of black ABS plastic with an automaker logo somewhere in the middle...

Some of them use PS fluid, as I recall.

I also think it's kinda neat, but also one more system to maintain and have leak.

Darkwriter77 said:
Anyone got a pic of the actual cooling assembly, itself? Pics of engine bays on modern cars just look like a featureless landscape of black ABS plastic with an automaker logo somewhere in the middle...
Mines covered for a reason. That modern technology underneath is UGLY :D
If that mile long intake wasn't in the way I'd snap a pic for you guys...PB