Hydraulic roller lifter question

jonesy

Apr 17, 2005
what is the most rpm that people are getting with the stock hydraulic lifter, the cam I have is supposed to be good up to 6500 but seems like 6200 is where it likes to shift at, if you go more than 6200 you don't hear any miss , but you can hear some odd noise that I think could be the lifters compressing. I deffinitely know that the spring pressure and coil bind is fine, just curiuos is if that the stock lifter is only good for mid 6000rpm.

Thx,
Jonesy
Niles, Mi.

• Sponsors (?)

jonesy said:
what is the most rpm that people are getting with the stock hydraulic lifter, the cam I have is supposed to be good up to 6500 but seems like 6200 is where it likes to shift at, if you go more than 6200 you don't hear any miss , but you can hear some odd noise that I think could be the lifters compressing. I deffinitely know that the spring pressure and coil bind is fine, just curiuos is if that the stock lifter is only good for mid 6000rpm.

Thx,
Jonesy
Niles, Mi.

Not really sure, but why the hell did you do a cam swap and leave in the stock lifters?

CManT1914 said:
Not really sure, but why the hell did you do a cam swap and leave in the stock lifters?

There's actually only one manufacturer for the Ford hydraulic roller lifters and all the companies source it. In fact, if you check the manufacturers of camshafts, they all say that their 5.0 hydraulic roller cams work with factory Ford lifters.

It's possible if your lifters are old, they won't stand up to high RPM punishment. But generally speaking 6500 is the max the lifters can go...6200 is about the highest peak horsepower point I've seen with 5.0 running hydraulic roller lifters. That said, I haven't seen one done with a wicked set of heads like AFR 205s.

I left the stock lifters in because they were flawless, the car had 63,000 on it when I did the mods, hell its a roller not a flat tappet, DO YOU CHANGE RIMS WHEN YOU CHANGE TIRES?

jonesy said:
I left the stock lifters in because they were flawless, the car had 63,000 on it when I did the mods, hell its a roller not a flat tappet, DO YOU CHANGE RIMS WHEN YOU CHANGE TIRES?

HELL YES I DO!!!! :jester: j/k. it just seems like a common practice to swap lifters when doing a cam, I hadn't heard of anybody leaving the stock ones in. But then again, there's not many 60k mile 5.0's around anymore, they're all over 100k, and need new ones anyway. :flag:

I agree w/ common practice of new means new lifters, but the old ones were like knew and I'm the second owner and I knew the first, oil got changed at 2000 miles because that is what her dad told her. I bought the car 3 years ago w / 57,000 miles. before I even had it a day I ordered the gears and did the mods this year, now its fun to drive