I am still car shopping for a easy on the gas daily driver. help.

gruvee87vertgt

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Chicago, Il
Well, last time I posted I was interested in a Ford Ranger...but I went to see a couple and they all look too much like a cable tv workmans truck or they look dorky.

I know I know...I shouldn't be picky about a daily driver.

But I need you ideas!!!

I need a cool pickup that's easy on gas.

Any ideas is appreciated. thanx

• Sponsors (?)

Don't get a 3.0 or 3.4 Toyota V6 truck/suv made between 1990 and I beleive 1998, or a supra... All have head gasket recalls... And all usually have a failure every 30 to 80k miles.... I found out the hard way :(

I would suggest a I4 Tacoma :D

get one of those dorky (but clean) trucks, throw on a decent set of aluminum wheels/wider-than-stock tires and voila! you have a cool looking useful DD

however this is assuming you want a 2WD. if you are set on a truck and want good gas mileage. it definitely has to be of the 2WD 4cyl variety. they will get you somewhere in the range of 22-25mpg. any 6cyl is at 20 or below and 4x4 just makes it worse, regardless of the engine. my 4.0 V6/5-speed 4x4 96 Ranger gets 17 around town...i just checked the mileage on the 5.0 today and it was 18.75...and i do get onto that loud pedal pretty often...

for reference, my 03 gets 18-21 around town...but having a second mustang doesnt make sense in some cases...then you have 2 cars fighting for your attention and mod $$...well, at least thats how it would be for me...

i personally would like a small 2wd truck myself as a DD...its just really nice to have a truck