I blew my wastegate actuator!

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
Yup, blew the wastegate actuator diaphram. I was getting some nasty preignition at WOT that I couldn't get rid of by changing fuel pressure or timing. I don't have a boost gauge on my car now, so I proped the fuel pressure guage on the windsheild wipers and went for a drive. To my dismay, fuel pressure jumped from my base pressure of 42psi to 65psi when I got on it. :eek: That means I had been been spiking it to well over 20psi for the last week as I have been trying to get rid of the detonation.
Amazingly, I think the motor came through unscaved. Quite a feat considering I was getting some bad preignition at 20+psi of boost on nearly 10:1 compression. I pulled the wastegate rod, and I think I have a lead on a new actuator.

• Sponsors (?)

bhuff30 said:
Yup, blew the wastegate actuator diaphram. I was getting some nasty preignition at WOT that I couldn't get rid of by changing fuel pressure or timing. I don't have a boost gauge on my car now, so I proped the fuel pressure guage on the windsheild wipers and went for a drive. To my dismay, fuel pressure jumped from my base pressure of 42psi to 65psi when I got on it. :eek: That means I had been been spiking it to well over 20psi for the last week as I have been trying to get rid of the detonation.
Amazingly, I think the motor came through unscaved. Quite a feat considering I was getting some bad preignition at 20+psi of boost on nearly 10:1 compression. I pulled the wastegate rod, and I think I have a lead on a new actuator.
Probably not to many motors out there that would hold up to that kinda abuse. Nothing special on my engine. Factory crank, rods, diamond pistons, stock headgasket.
I wonder if a 5.0 would hold up to that?
Hmmmmmmm,,wastegate actuater diaphrame,Hmmmmmmm,,LOL :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: ,,LOL,sorry guys,,I'LL go back to my room!!wastegate,,,,,,,,,,,

willys1 said:
Hmmmmmmm,,wastegate actuater diaphrame,Hmmmmmmm,,LOL :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: ,,LOL,sorry guys,,I'LL go back to my room!!wastegate,,,,,,,,,,,
Sorry, I thought everyone here was a big boy. :rolleyes: Maybe these will make you laugh too....
stroker crank
rear end
dumps
o2 sensor bung