I broke something...help me figure out what?

ganador01

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2002
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Ok so I don't have a 4.6 but I've been to 3 v6 mustang sites and still have gotten no help whatsoever. I figure an engine is and engine and you guys are probably more qualified to answer my question neways.

Its a 97 v6 auto.

I am going to give you guys some background info first, then explain my problem, then Ill post pictures.

Ok so it all started when I moved up to houston. After I had made the trip I noticed that I had a ton of black sut on the back of my bumper. I have never had this happen before. I figure I was just running a little rich or I had maybe burned something out of my cats. No biggie.

I was driving yesterday and I decided to get on it a bit and when I did I managed to blow off one of my fuel lines. So, I put the fuel line back on and drove home for the night very carefully.

So this morning I go out to my car to resecure the fuel line I had blown off last night. I get out and I see coolant under my car. So, I proceed to secure the fuel line with zip ties (till i can find some c-clamps).

This is where I start looking around for a cooland leak. I find where it might be leaking but that doesn't explain how the cooland is way up high on my block and in back of the block. The line I saw is probably leaking but not the cause of the rest of the leak. I then jacked up my car and looked as good as I could to find it but to no avail. So, I took pictures at all the places I saw it leaking.

edit (It was a quart low)
After this, I proceed to check my oil to make sure its not low. Well it is. And im not sure how low yet. I know i used half a quart of oil and didn't get it back up to the line. (thats all i have until i go to the auto parts store).

So now here I am. I am leaking coolant from somewhere (probably a gasket of some sort). Not a whole lot but definately leaking. I am either burning oil or something because now I am low on oil. I have never burned any oil in the past until now. (i realize i have burned a little but not enough to warrant adding more in between oil changes)

I checked the pcv valve as well and it looked oil free from what I could see.

So here are the pictures. Guys, help me out here so I can figure out how to get my car up and running right again. Im hoping I don't have a blown head gasket. Any ideas. Below are the pictures.

View attachment 522650
View attachment 522652
View attachment 522654
View attachment 522656
View attachment 522658
View attachment 522660
View attachment 522662
View attachment 522664
View attachment 522666
View attachment 522668
View attachment 522670
View attachment 522672
View attachment 522674
View attachment 522676
View attachment 522678
View attachment 522680
View attachment 522682
View attachment 522684
View attachment 522685
View attachment 522686

• Sponsors (?)

Coolant leak i say the water pump is going out(leaking out of the weep hole)..

Oil leaks ,the v6 commonly leaks around the valve cover gaskets..I usually recommend fixing the high up leaks FIRST then cleaning the oil off and rechecking for lower leaks..

Depending on the mileage(over 100k)..I would replace the radialtor hoses,tstat and flush the radiator at the same time as the pump replacement.

Also a good tune up wouldnt hurt either..

white99gt said:
Coolant leak i say the water pump is going out(leaking out of the weep hole)..

Oil leaks ,the v6 commonly leaks around the valve cover gaskets..I usually recommend fixing the high up leaks FIRST then cleaning the oil off and rechecking for lower leaks..

Depending on the mileage(over 100k)..I would replace the radialtor hoses,tstat and flush the radiator at the same time as the pump replacement.

Also a good tune up wouldnt hurt either..
this weep hole...where is it/what is it?

You can usually tell if it's the waterpump by turning on your engine for a few minutes. You'll see the coolant coming out of the little hole on the pump. If you don't see it then, you'll see it when you turn off the engine.