I DONT WANT A BOYFRIEND NAMED BUBBA

• Sponsors (?)

splatteredguts said:
well yeah, most detectors detect lasers too, but its pointless because it needs a direct hit to sense anything... meaning by the time your detectors going off, the cops already pulling out his ticket book.

Ain't that the truth. But down here in texas, most cops still use k and ka band and if they want to use laser, they have to get out of their car and fire it. Its against the law for them to use laser when their car is moving. Something about the the accuracy of the laser going down when the car is moving.

Laser only works in the stationary mode because it detects distance over time. If the car is moving, the small sight on the laser won't be able to "lock on" to a car. Sometimes even breathing hard will make it hard to pinpoint a single car from a distance, but it is possible on a straight stretch to pick a single car out from over 4000 ft. using a laser with a magnified scope.

About the detectors.......over a 1000' span, the laser beam is only 1' around and the front area of the car is the most reflective. If you have the detector in your dash......it will NOT detect the laser beam. Cops aim at the grill of your car, not your windshield.

Even with some of the radar detectors out there.....unless you're running with a group of cars, they're useless. Have you heard of the "shotgun method"? While the cops are driving down the road, the radar is in "standby" mode. Once they see a target (car), they turn the radar on......and bang, you're done.

I know in Ohio, the only way that cops can be certified to operate radar is through a weeklong course, after 6 months on the road where the speeds of vehicles is estimated to within 5 mph of their actual speed. If they're not able to estimate speed off of their vision alone, they don't get certification and don't get to use ANY electronic speed measuring devices.

98CobraClone said:
Laser only works in the stationary mode because it detects distance over time. If the car is moving, the small sight on the laser won't be able to "lock on" to a car. Sometimes even breathing hard will make it hard to pinpoint a single car from a distance, but it is possible on a straight stretch to pick a single car out from over 4000 ft. using a laser with a magnified scope.

About the detectors.......over a 1000' span, the laser beam is only 1' around and the front area of the car is the most reflective. If you have the detector in your dash......it will NOT detect the laser beam. Cops aim at the grill of your car, not your windshield.

Even with some of the radar detectors out there.....unless you're running with a group of cars, they're useless. Have you heard of the "shotgun method"? While the cops are driving down the road, the radar is in "standby" mode. Once they see a target (car), they turn the radar on......and bang, you're done.

I know in Ohio, the only way that cops can be certified to operate radar is through a weeklong course, after 6 months on the road where the speeds of vehicles is estimated to within 5 mph of their actual speed. If they're not able to estimate speed off of their vision alone, they don't get certification and don't get to use ANY electronic speed measuring devices.

I have no disagreement with this except for one thing...cops don't target the grill, they target the license plate b/c the laser MUST CONTACT with a flat surface in order to register correctly. And it's also true what they say: Red cars attract the laser more and are easier to catch speeding. Sorry if I seem to be stepping on your toes here, I just wanted to throw in my $.02. AND also F.Y.I., tickets issued via the shotgun method are easily disputed and thrown out b/c, even at a dead standstill, the radar guns are highly unreliable. Best bet for avoiding a ticket: don't speed. Second best bet: Use your eyes, ears, and your detector. Any one of those three alone isn't going to cut it. Ok I'm done :D

ganador01 said:
Ain't that the truth. But down here in texas, most cops still use k and ka band and if they want to use laser, they have to get out of their car and fire it. Its against the law for them to use laser when their car is moving. Something about the the accuracy of the laser going down when the car is moving.

This supports my point :nice: There are good laws in Texas after all sometimes. :D

Mean03V6 said:
I have no disagreement with this except for one thing...cops don't target the grill, they target the license plate b/c the laser MUST CONTACT with a flat surface in order to register correctly. And it's also true what they say: Red cars attract the laser more and are easier to catch speeding. Sorry if I seem to be stepping on your toes here, I just wanted to throw in my $.02. AND also F.Y.I., tickets issued via the shotgun method are easily disputed and thrown out b/c, even at a dead standstill, the radar guns are highly unreliable. Best bet for avoiding a ticket: don't speed. Second best bet: Use your eyes, ears, and your detector. Any one of those three alone isn't going to cut it. Ok I'm done :D

Actually, from my understanding the headlight/grill section is where they usually aim because it is the most reflective and easiest target to hit. and they need the laser to "bounce" back at them. Plus I don't think the colour of the car would effect the laser to any degree. But if it did, red absorbs red, the whiter the surface the more reflected the light is, basic physics. The finish would be a more helpful element, if you had a matt type finish to the car it would make it harder, so when I see those primered stangs with no paint, I think there is something to that?? I work with spectrophotometers/fluorometers all day long and deal with light transmission and reflectance at work and some lasers which by the way operate in the 700ish nm range. If you could pick up a ****load of LED's that emit the correct nm range and put them all in your grill you would absorb the signal and would ultimately defeat the laser. That is what those laser jammers do, but if you could build one yourself it wouldn't cost a grand and you could custom fit it to the most reflective parts of your front and rear for that matter, for photo. So they could try and lock on you all they wanted but would get jack.

Plus I have a friend looking for the red LED's in the correct range at bulk price, which is apparently harder to find then you would think, probably for this reason as normal LED's are off by a bit in the spectrum from the laser guns. Curious??

GREENBIOCH said:
Actually, from my understanding the headlight/grill section is where they usually aim because it is the most reflective and easiest target to hit. and they need the laser to "bounce" back at them. Plus I don't think the colour of the car would effect the laser to any degree. But if it did, red absorbs red, the whiter the surface the more reflected the light is, basic physics. The finish would be a more helpful element, if you had a matt type finish to the car it would make it harder, so when I see those primered stangs with no paint, I think there is something to that?? I work with spectrophotometers/fluorometers all day long and deal with light transmission and reflectance at work and some lasers which by the way operate in the 700ish nm range. If you could pick up a ****load of LED's that emit the correct nm range and put them all in your grill you would absorb the signal and would ultimately defeat the laser. That is what those laser jammers do, but if you could build one yourself it wouldn't cost a grand and you could custom fit it to the most reflective parts of your front and rear for that matter, for photo. So they could try and lock on you all they wanted but would get jack.

Plus I have a friend looking for the red LED's in the correct range at bulk price, which is apparently harder to find then you would think, probably for this reason as normal LED's are off by a bit in the spectrum from the laser guns. Curious??

:scratch: hmmm...I never thought about the LED thing. I was told that they aim for the plates by a cop at one time, but I do not stand behind that b/c, you know, heresay is heresay blah blah. :D If your friend winds up making a jammer and it works, could ya let me know? I might try my hand at it.... :D

GREENBIOCH said:

:scratch: hmmm...I never thought about the LED thing. I was told that they aim for the plates by a cop at one time, but I do not stand behind that b/c, you know, heresay is heresay blah blah. :D If your friend winds up making a jammer and it works, could ya let me know? I might try my hand at it.... :D

Mean03V6 said:

okay, go ahead and doubt me......I'm the donut eater here. The license plate is too small of a target. The grill (or entire frontal area of the car) is the prime target. With the shotgun method, the radar is as effective as being left on the entire time. The only errors present when shotgunning are possible combining errors, cosine errors or "sign shots". All of these errors are highly detectable by a trained radar user by the audio tone given from the radar and the display readout. In essentially all of the above mentioned scenarios, the patrol car speed will be erroneously low and the target speed will be ridiculously high.

The only difference between shotgun and leaving it on, is that you actually catch the people with radar detectors because by the time the radar is activated, the speed can be locked in before they even hit their brakes.

good ole virginia, the radar detectors are illegal, i've not gotten stopped yet heh heh heh, not really i got stopped once going 90 but the cop let me go... i'm so lucky

98CobraClone said:
okay, go ahead and doubt me......I'm the donut eater here. The license plate is too small of a target. The grill (or entire frontal area of the car) is the prime target. With the shotgun method, the radar is as effective as being left on the entire time. The only errors present when shotgunning are possible combining errors, cosine errors or "sign shots". All of these errors are highly detectable by a trained radar user by the audio tone given from the radar and the display readout. In essentially all of the above mentioned scenarios, the patrol car speed will be erroneously low and the target speed will be ridiculously high.

The only difference between shotgun and leaving it on, is that you actually catch the people with radar detectors because by the time the radar is activated, the speed can be locked in before they even hit their brakes.

I don't doubt you. But I do know that, in Texas, the cops can not use laser while moving. That said, so long as the cops have underhanded methods of giving tickets, people will continue to invent new ways to get around those methods. Not flaming, just sayin what i think. :flag: