I drove on Road Atlanta!

65shlbycln

Founding Member
Aug 24, 2002
Atlanta
So yesterday, I left early in the morning for Road Atlanta, and the Walter Mitty Historic Sports Car challenge. It was awesome!

When i got there, i was trying to find someplace to park, and in the midfield, i saw a line of 6-7 Shelby Cobras, and a sapphire blue '66 gt350. So i parked out back in a lot, got out and took a look at their cars. I overheard one guy saying how he was asked to park there after he drove by the line of cars since he owned a Cobra too. So i talked to Rob, a Superformance rep, and he invited me to join them! It was the coolest sight ever. My clone, a gt350, another clone (which turned up later), 6-7 cobras, and a REAL '66 GT-40 which turned up in a few hours. Thats alot of stripes!!! :hail2: There were a bunch of clubs that turned out, but our lot of cobras definitely turned the most heads. There were people video taping and taking photos all day.

A few hours later around 12, i joined the club for a few laps around road atlanta. We were limited in speed by a pace car, but we would kinda slow down, let the pace car go ahead, and then nail the gas for a few seconds . :nice: I scared the crap out of myself though on the first lap. It was wet and raining, and on the first lap, i came through a turn too quick, hit the gas, and the rear end slid out a good bit, but i reacted just how years of playing Gran Tourismo has taught me to react, and i recovered the car just fine without making a fool out of myself. To a bystander, it may have looked like i was drifting through the turn. "Yeah, it was completely intentional!" :D

So it was a blast. There were 3 gt-350s, a '65 coupe, a '70 fastback, and the dark horse racing mach 1 in some of the events. It was really cool hearing those cars at full throttle and watching them battles the vettes, camaros, and get this, 914's (which by the way, where really really dominant, but then again, i guess they always are). The '65 coupe did the best out of all the mustangs.

Thats my story!

• Sponsors (?)

65shlbycln said:
and get this, 914's (which by the way, where really really dominant, but then again, i guess they always are).

Do you mean 911's. I believe the 914's had flat four engines and some with the flat 6 cylinder engines. I had a modified Pinto (yes Pinto with push rod 1600) that could take on a 914 with a flat four.

No, i mean 914's. I love those cars. They handle so well. And yeah, the ones doing really well are 914/6 cars with a 6 cylinder. These are no ordinary 914/6's though. You would see a shelby or 911 powering up the hill or through the straightaway, and watch the 914's just fly past them. In one race, which included cars such as Ferrari 355's, 911's, mustangs, bmw's, 944's, etc, a 914/6 won the whole race. This car never let off the throttle. It was wickedly fast.