I Fear Gears....

Orange... said:
I thought that only the 99's and up you could use that speedcal... the older ones take the speedo gears (little plastic gears that slip in the side of the tranny)??
Thats what i'm confused on now. I got the speedcal but then after thinking and reading somewhere that said you can just buy a little gear for like 20 to correct it...I mean....how can an electronic device fix a non-electronic speed/odometer?

• Sponsors (?)

Orange... said:
I thought that only the 99's and up you could use that speedcal... the older ones take the speedo gears (little plastic gears that slip in the side of the tranny)??

Speed-cal will work for a 96, Mine is a 97 and I have it for my 4.10's.
The highest speedo gear you can get is for 3.55's.

And my speedo is dead-on perfect.

stangGT97 said:
both the speedo gear and speedcal will work, but the gear wears out faster...

wait what now im confused?????:bang: Also... the higher i go after 3:55s the more its off???? And to answer tom, actually no but i dont want to tell the next guy (if i actually do have to sell) that the odometer is actually less than what it says, i know i wouldnt want to hear that if im buying the car. For some reason thats a turn off.

96_SVT_VeNoM said:
wait what now im confused?????:bang: Also... the higher i go after 3:55s the more its off???? And to answer tom, actually no but i dont want to tell the next guy (if i actually do have to sell) that the odometer is actually less than what it says, i know i wouldnt want to hear that if im buying the car. For some reason thats a turn off.

They dont mean the rear end gears would wear out faster. They mean the gear you'd use to correct your speedo instead of using a speedcal.

96_SVT_VeNoM said:
wait what now im confused?????:bang:
your car has a mechanical 'speedometer' gear which is made out of plastic, since it turns more, it'll wear out quicker than the stock speedo gear

96_SVT_VeNoM said:
Also... the higher i go after 3:55s the more its off???? And to answer tom, actually no but i dont want to tell the next guy (if i actually do have to sell) that the odometer is actually less than what it says, i know i wouldnt want to hear that if im buying the car. For some reason thats a turn off.
you just tell him (if you ever do sell) 'dude! it's got 4.10's or whatever, no one would care

Order the package from MustangTuning so you can get the gears, speedcal, and lube for a decent price. Then use the stangnet coupon code for another $17 off for a grand total of $52 saved + free shipping...at least thats what I did.

(although i also ordered the bearing install kit for 8.8" so it might not be $17 after discount, but still, it's a decent price)

96_SVT_VeNoM said:
Im ashamed to say it but i think it ruin my cobra, i dont like the whole odometer and tach reading differently afterwards thing. It ruins the fact that the car has original miles in the first place. It goes in the shop wednesday and i feel like calling GTR back and cancelling the swap for the 3:90s. somebody please tell me its going to be all right and that will not ruin the value of my beautiful car:shrug:

My friend with a '97 Cobra has 4.30's in his and SWEARS by them. Says he loves them and it's not too high.

Oh and the answer to your worries is a Speed Cal. It will get your speedo and odometer exactly 100% right so no worries about adding incorrect mileage.

I would cance the 3.90's and do 4.10's at least. Those DOHC motors love to rev.

I already called GTR and switched to 4:10s.... as 4 how much, total its going to be around $2000 clams (gasp!!) but thats 4 Bassani x, Bassani aft cat, 4:10s w/ speedcal, bearings, PLUS new OEM cobra headlights (originals are yellowing:notnice: ), snake for the grill (instead of OEM pony). All the lader I will be installing. I also ordered the K&N FIPK from work 4 $180. I have yet to talk to them about next week, which i plan to throw in a frpp king cobra clutch, and alum driveshaft, and MAYBE a triax MAYBE:shrug: . I dont want to spend to much:D yah right.

All this in hopes of being in the 12s:flag:

Don't get the 4.30s. They suck for daily driving. A close friend of mine bought a 96 with 4.30s in it. It sucks having the engine turning that fast all the time, especially on the highway. Going down the highway at 70mph he is around 3200 rpm, its just too much gear. Stick with the 4.10s if you want steep.

MisterCMK said:
Don't get the 4.30s. They suck for daily driving. A close friend of mine bought a 96 with 4.30s in it. It sucks having the engine turning that fast all the time, especially on the highway. Going down the highway at 70mph he is around 3200 rpm, its just too much gear. Stick with the 4.10s if you want steep.

Umm I hate to break it to you, but your data is inaccurate. Besides there is a 150 rpm difference between the 4.10's and 4.30's.

I have had 4.30's in my Cobra for 3 1/2 years and its a daily driver and made 2 cross country trips. The car averages 23 mpg on the highway and I can around 22 around town.

BTW, at 80 mph the rpms are 3100 not 3200@70 so something isn't right with his car. Check to see if he has a speedcal and correct it, or if he has a speedo gear, remove it for a speedcal.