I Finally Put the Rearend Back In My Car

• Thread starter Deleted member 87397
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87397

I Finally Put the Rearend Back In My Car (Pics)

Well a lack of time and money has kept the rear axle out of my car for about 2 years now but I finally got the chance to put it back in today. When I removed the axle and suspension it was all the stock 86 equipment except 3.73's and some recent shocks. Now it is completely re-done and I'm dying to try it out. I just have to put the rest of the car back together now. Here's some before and after pics. Sorry about the crappy cell pics on the after ones. It was getting dark too. I'm not sure why I have such a big fender gap. I haven't really adjusted the control arms or shocks yet. That Might have something to do with it.

MustangProgressPics007.jpg

MustangProgressPics015.jpg

006.jpg

012.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Nice clean work and excellent choice in parts.
Looks like the axle has to move back a little to get it centered in the wheel opening... and the height will come down after you get everything adjusted and give it time to settle in. Also, you're sure you tightened the control arm bolts while there was weight on the suspension and not when it was just hanging, right?

I tightened everything up in the air but none of it is completely tightened or torqued to spec yet. Though the lowers may be tight enough to have not settled properly when I put it on the ground. I'll check on that when I'm finished up adjustments next time.

Here'seveything I did to it if anyone's interested.

Sandblasted the housing
Welded axle tubes
Powercoated housing
FRPP 3.73's
Auburn 31 spline posi
Moser 5 lug axles
FRPP B springs
QA1 adjustable shocks
Stock UCA's
Maximum HD adj. LCA's
UMI torque box reinforcements

Yeah I've accumulated about 5 pairs a jackstands over the last few years cuz I'm always needing them. And they are usually occupied.

Yeah, that's going to take some adjustment to get it back down out of the clouds. It's not going to settle 3 inches. It should center itself front to back once you get the ride height corrected. Nice wheels!