I finally sold my 2010 Mustang and placed an order on a 2012 5.0! I have questions!

unas2k5

Feb 6, 2010
I loved everything about my 2010. The only thing I didn't like is that it was an auto.

This is what I ordered. I have a week to make changes.

2012 Kona Blue 5.0 Manual w/ 3.55 or 3.73 ..Which is best?
Appearance package 5
Electronics package
Confort Package
401A Interior upgrade

Sticker @ 38K so far.

What gear ratio is best?
On the order manual for the 12's it has a star next to the 5.0 engine and manual trans meaning that there has been changes, what are those changes?
Will it still have the same trans isuues some of the 11's are having?

Thank You

• Sponsors (?)

For gearing, you will have to figure out how you're going to use it. For a lot of highway driving, then 3:55s. If you want general all around quick feel, then 3:73s. If you plan to road course the car, probably 3:73s. If you want to run the 1/4 mile a lot, I gather from several folks on these forums (no personal experience) that 3:55s may work better so you can stay in 4th across the finish.

I have an '83 GT that had 3:27s in it (it was a 7.5") and after I blew it apart, I then upgraded to 8.8" with 3:73s and it felt like I added 100hp...I loved it! So when I ordered my '11 5.0, my previous experience in my '83 allowed me to pick the 3:73s with confidence.

As for your other options...sounds pretty nice.

Good luck and congrats on your order!

For gearing, you will have to figure out how you're going to use it. For a lot of highway driving, then 3:55s.

My '07 had 3.55s and at 70mph I turned 2250 rpm.

In my '11 with 3.73s at 70mph, I turn 2000-2250 rpm. I give that range because I've only had the stock Brembo wheel on the car for a week, and my new snow tires/wheels are 1" taller than OEM...but I'm pretty sure it's 2,250.

Both cars were manual trans. (of course). That said, I think highway driving should be similar to my '07, and at speeds of around 70-80mph, I should see 28-30 mpg.

I loved everything about my 2010. The only thing I didn't like is that it was an auto.

This is what I ordered. I have a week to make changes.

2012 Kona Blue 5.0 Manual w/ 3.55 or 3.73 ..Which is best?
Appearance package 5
Electronics package
Confort Package
401A Interior upgrade

Sticker @ 38K so far.

What gear ratio is best?
On the order manual for the 12's it has a star next to the 5.0 engine and manual trans meaning that there has been changes, what are those changes?
Will it still have the same trans isuues some of the 11's are having?

Thank You

Perhaps the star is to let you know that you can only get the optional 3.55 or 3.73 gears with the manual tranny?

Sounds like a good combo. Love the Brembo's. Totally worth it in my opinion. The only thing I wish I added was the HID's, but I did not like the way they looked when they first came out. Now, they've grown on me & I like them. Too bad I didn't order mine with them. Just a suggestion. You may not want/need them. Congrat's on ordering a 2012!!!

EDIT: I say get the 3.73's.

The only thing I wish I added was the HID's, but I did not like the way they looked when they first came out. Now, they've grown on me & I like them. Too bad I didn't order mine with them.

I'm planning on going with these aftermarket HIDS instead of the factory option. They are way cheaper and you aren't forced to also get the Security package. You also get some extra options in regards to color temperature. 4300K (white) sounds good to me but you can go all the way up to 12000K (purple) if you want.

2010 Mustang HID Bixenon Headlight Kit from StangMods

I'm planning on going with these aftermarket HIDS instead of the factory option. They are way cheaper and you aren't forced to also get the Security package. You also get some extra options in regards to color temperature. 4300K (white) sounds good to me but you can go all the way up to 12000K (purple) if you want.

2010 Mustang HID Bixenon Headlight Kit from StangMods

Umm...purple? Who in their right mind would want purple? When it comes to headlights, the point is to SEE the road...not to look cool. As if that even looked cool.
:shrug: