I found a live bug in my salad!

Team Ford

Dec 16, 2005
So I order from the restaurant across the street probably 3 times a week...same thing everyday, Grilled chicken salad. Well today I'm eating the food and about half way done when I see this mosquito looking bug crawl out from behind the lettuce. I spit my food out and called the manager of the establishment. I said hello I just ordered your grilled chicken salad and found a live bug in my food. He said "ah, I can make you another one." with a dumb dah sort of voice. I said "no." and hung up. I then called our code enforcement office and they said they would look into it.

What concerns me is his lack of concern or alarm. I mean even if it is common to have bugs crawling around your food you should at least act alarmed or say sorry or offer to refund their money.

...that was gross:mad:

• Sponsors (?)

The problem with that is 99% of the time does not lie within the resturant as the source.

With fresh produce alot of times bugs are allready crawling around in the produce, and the produce companies leave it to the resturant to clean it all up. So if the resturant isnt paying attention, or just skips cleaning the produce cause they think its allready been cleaned then stuff like that can happen.

Thats a bad response from the manager though, I would be more upset about that than finding the bug. Its gross, but you are eating something that grows from the ground, lol. But managment should have offered a refund and told you they will look into and fix that problem.

What has that got to do with it?

It's got a lot to do with it. Greeks and Arabs own all the restaurants and fast food joints. I personally knew a lot of Greeks and Arabs who worked in restaurants that never washed their hands after taking a $hit or piss. One owner that I personally know used to have black $hit underneath his finger nails and he used to make submarine sandwiches and pizzas that he would sell in his own pizza shop. He also looked really grubby looking behind the counter. He always had bad breath and was unshaven. He looked like a mountain goat. As a matter of fact, his nickname was "mountain goat".:rlaugh:

So you guys are saying you would have picked the bug out and kept eating or better yet tossed it down the hatch with some Ranch dressing. :)

If I was in the woods with my M16 sure no problem I'll be the first one picking grubs out of some tree bark but not when im in the office reading a book. gah. Just wasnt ready for that.

hmm...after reading your responses I feel as though I overreacted. So the code enforcement folks prolly wont even stop by like they said they would huh. They just said they would check it out to make me feel better. all this time I thought these places were clean and bug free.

My co-worker told me about a time he was at (enter fast food chain name) and they had to pull their fry vat machine side panel off and when they did roaches were packed inside, he said he turned around and left quickly.

Next time Ill just keep crunching away and toss out the extra protein without making a scene.

So you guys are saying you would have picked the bug out and kept eating or better yet tossed it down the hatch with some Ranch dressing. :)

If I was in the woods with my M16 sure no problem I'll be the first one picking grubs out of some tree bark but not when im in the office reading a book. gah. Just wasnt ready for that.

hmm...after reading your responses I feel as though I overreacted. So the code enforcement folks prolly wont even stop by like they said they would huh. They just said they would check it out to make me feel better. all this time I thought these places were clean and bug free.

My co-worker told me about a time he was at (enter fast food chain name) and they had to pull their fry vat machine side panel off and when they did roaches were packed inside, he said he turned around and left quickly.

Next time Ill just keep crunching away and toss out the extra protein without making a scene.

ALL Resteraunts and food service joints are bug infested and have mice etc..it can't be prevented unless you have a 24 hour cleaning and sanitation crew. I worked in Resteraunts and Diners while i was younger and they would clean everything with bleach etc every night and still had roaches and mice. Plus its hard to control the bugs that come in on the produce etc...

I'd be concerned with the lack of ANY concern by the owner guy... that would really piss me off I'd make a ball out of dead bugs and freeze it then throw it at him next time you see him... or let him know in front of customers what had happened and how he responded on the phone and how his lack of concern offended you.

Thats not cool... people are really starting to get on my nerves as of late... people will answer their cell phones at work when they should be tending to me, but instead they talk about their party or talk to their co-workers when I am standing waiting... that really annoys me. This is all ages of people too... or they don't say hello or thanks if you buy anything...

Enough of that now... back to happyland...