i found out what that ticking noise was!!!

SMRcalidiv

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Need Help Asap, Time Sensitive, Pleeeaaassseee

seems it was just my spark plug getting ready to get blown out of the head... again! thats right, for the second friggin time the same spark plug has been ejected from its home. the last time, for those who remember, my plug got blown out of the head after my lovely ford dealership installed new plugs, they told me at first that it was a piece of carbon that may have hit the plug that caused the problem, eventually they ended up fixing it for free. to fix it they helicoiled the head, not something i would have liked or something i think they would have done for free if they didnt know it was their bad. so now it has happened again, and lucky me its sunday and i get to go to work tomorrow, 3 hours early mind you, cuz thats the only time i can get a ride, and the dealership wont be open for me to bitch at either, so now im curious what do you think they will do this time?????

• Sponsors (?)

The dealership helicoiled it? That's BS. Make the replace the f'n head.

TSB 15815
Do not repair spark plug port threads in aluminum cylinder heads-
Unapproved usage of helicoil for serice
Some engines equipped with aluminum cylinder heads may exhibit spark plug port(s) with stripped or missing threads, "Do not" service stripped or missing spark plug port threads by using "helicoil" or "tapersert" repair kits. It is likely that additonal engine damage or engine failure will occur after an unsuccesful atttempt to service the cylinder head spark plug reports with "helicoil" or taperset. The only authorized service procedure is to replace the cylinder the cylinder head assembly when spark plug port threads are damaged is to replace the cylinder head assembly when spark plug port threads are damaged and in need of service, refer, to the pertinent workshop manual (section 303-1) for cylinder head removal and installation procedures. Note: When servicing spark plugs for any reason , do not use air or powertools and take care to ensure that spark plyugs to not crossthread.

so is that the official word on what they should have done? can i use that if they try to give me some bs about it not being their problem? it has been a little while since they did the helicoil in the first place so i was worried they would say that there is no way i can link the 2 problems, even though its obvious. please tell me more, i need to have some ammo if they try and give me the run around.

Well, I got that from the bullittarchive. It has the TSB number right at the beginning. I will do a little research on NHTSA.gov for you I guess... I will post if I find anything.

Knowledge is power, hopefully it will give you the edge in your negotiations with the dealer...

i would really appreciate it man, you know how they will try to pass the buck instead of fixing their mistake, so if its true that they should have never done the helicoil in the first place i dont see how they can get out of it.

That sucks man!! I'm betting they'll try to give you the run-around and maybe settle on replacing the head if you pay the labour, or something like that. Do as much research as you can so you can be prepared when you talk to the dealer. Good luck!!!

tell me about, i will give them credit for fixing it last time, but it wasnt before they tried to get out of it. hopefully kilgore will find out if that tsb is legit, it looks it, and they will have to replace the head. i am expecting a headache though when i get there.

Well, I did some reseach, sorry to say I did not find anything additional to the TSB I already referenced. Later tonight the Ford techs may be online. Keep this thread near the top and I am sure you will get more info.

Wow, the more I read threads like this the more I relize how lucky I was !! My car ticked for almost a year, it started after I installed a nitrous kit. I thought there might be some valvetrain damage, but found out one of the plugs had backed out and was finger tight. I tightend it up and its been nice and quiet ever since..

Kilgore Trout said:
The dealership helicoiled it? That's BS. Make the replace the f'n head.

TSB 15815
Do not repair spark plug port threads in aluminum cylinder heads-
Unapproved usage of helicoil for serice
Some engines equipped with aluminum cylinder heads may exhibit spark plug port(s) with stripped or missing threads, "Do not" service stripped or missing spark plug port threads by using "helicoil" or "tapersert" repair kits. It is likely that additonal engine damage or engine failure will occur after an unsuccesful atttempt to service the cylinder head spark plug reports with "helicoil" or taperset. The only authorized service procedure is to replace the cylinder the cylinder head assembly when spark plug port threads are damaged is to replace the cylinder head assembly when spark plug port threads are damaged and in need of service, refer, to the pertinent workshop manual (section 303-1) for cylinder head removal and installation procedures. Note: When servicing spark plugs for any reason , do not use air or powertools and take care to ensure that spark plugs to not crossthread.

good luck making them do anything. i would just go in show the manager the TSB and talk nice and calm. if you don't like what you hear then come back and tell us.

tring too force or going nuts or threats will just get you the finger and thrown out. they are under no obligation to fix your car. i wish i could tell you different but in court you would loose. even if the plug blew out now. you have too prove the original repair ( when the plug first blew loose) was caused by the tech and dealer. and not by a common known problem with modular motors that are ran at WOT.. i have seen this go too court before and the dealer wins.

IF you paid for the helicoil repair then you would have a stronger case.

the fact that they did the first repair for free will help you some. but this will be explained away and probally is already documented as a repair done for customer relations and no because of any wrong doing of there own.

how many miles and how long was it from the time of the plug replacement and the inital problem with the plug blowing out,.

i have already learned that being nice gets you further, so there wont be any yelling. and i would like to find a more official form of that tsb, i have the repair sheet from the first time when they did the helicoil, so if the tsb is legit i dont see how they can deny that they did the wrong thing in the first place by helicoiling the head. i guess i'll find out tomorrow...

so i went to the dealership today. i went in, told them nice and calmly the situation, that the problem they had fixed before has happened again. they told me to bring the car in and they would look at it tomorrow. i said i needed a rental car so they called and got me one, when i was at enterprise it was obvious that the car was being rented on fords account as a loaner, i didnt choose what kind of car or anything like that, they gave me an f150. so at the moment im not upset and under the impression that i am being taken care of.

p.s. i could still use more info on tsb 15815 if anyone has it. something official would be nice.

I used light anti seize on my plugs... Does that make them more likely to shoot out? Do I wipe the anti seize off and use lock tite or do I just add lock tite? What color lock tite?

so ford called me back, they said they can heli coil the head, and that it may not hold...for 219.00, or a new head is 2100.00. when i asked what the problem was in the first place the guy told me he could not read the chick's notes and that i would need to talk to her, thatll be in 20 min. , . please help guys, i need to know if that TSB is legit, and what to do.

call Ford Customer relation. they helped me out with my old Focus front spring probrem. And exprain them about TSB, and what they did. And probrem ur having right now.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
1-800-392-3673(FORD)