I got a ticket/advice?

• Sponsors (?)

When I didn't have a lawyer it got dropped, I plead my case and paid the $100 Charitable Donation.

When I did have a lawyer it got dropped, I didn't have to do a single thing but wait outside, and then pay the donation.

The lawyer was worth it, but I don't have to pay for him!

live and learn my friend. Yeah, i've recieved a ticket for speeding....when I was younger. You have to be careful and remember, you are not the only person on the road. Be respectful and careful. Take it to the track. Just pay the ticket well before the court date, and learn from your mistakes....it would be a shame if you ruined your chances at driving a nice stang just because you speed too much.

To each their own. I'd never go and face the judge on my own. Lawyer up and shut up... Let him talk. That's what you pay him for. At least in my case, my lawyer knows all the prosecutors and judges and will make it go to a no points violation with a big fine.. I'd rather get a big seat belt ticket than something with points that will kill my driving record for years.

Depending on the state you are in, going to court and facing the judge yourself actually is about the same as going with a Lawer (WI is one of those states).

Just by showing up, looking decent (ie where a shirt and tie and not jeans), and talking to the prosecutor and just telling them "Hey, I know I was wrong, it was a stupid decision and I know this is what I get, but if there is any leniency to be had that would be awesome." Most of the time you will be the only person in there besides the judge wearing a tie, the rest of the people or white trash and bums that are there for DUI or any other number of much worse things, and they see that you put in the effort to come there and admit your were wrong, they usually grant a little leniency.

However, if I had ticket like the OP, I wouldn't face the judge by myself. Here's the best course of action:

1. Go to the court house in the county/city where you got your ticket and talk to the clerk of courts and ask for the best attorney for speeding violations. The clerk knows them all personally and if he/she is nice enough they will tell you one they personally like and gets a long with, which is a huge plus when they get to court - the judges, prosecutors, and clerks can really do ANYTHING they want to with tickets and any personal dislikes or vendetta's they might have against a particular attorney will be devastating to your personal outcome.

2. Call around to those attorneys recommended (maybe some others in the phone book as well to just get a feel for pricing etc), tell them your situation and ask what they could do for you if you were to hire their services and ask for a price. They will usually give you a free quote, and tell you exactly what they can get the ticket lowered to. If they sound at all un-confident that they could get it reduced, just go on to the next attorney on your list.

3. When you find a good attorney with a good price, they will probably go to court for you so you don't even have to show up, and usually the cost is only $100-$200 on top of the fine, depending on where you live. If they can get it lowered from wreckless driving, or changed to seat belt violation, $100-$200 is nothing when you consider how much you will save on your insurance over the next 3 years.

Some of you think just because he wants to save a little bit of money he's a horrible person - murder's and rapists work the court system all the time and get off from what they really deserve. No matter what he will still get slapped with some fines and punishments, and I think he has learned his lesson, or at least h should have.

Getting the ticket reduced is not getting off the hook and there is nothing wrong with being frugal and trying to save yourself thousands of dollars from going to a crooked insurance company!

I've had plenty of speeding tickets. Trust everybody in here. SLOW DOWN and take it to the track. I get Ricers revving me all the time and I let it go. Ain't worth it. If you know you were in the wrong just face it and learn from it. Just cuz a car can do 140mph doesn't me you have to do it on a public highway. Trust me save yourself some gas and money and do the speed limit.:nice: